lots of questions based off my 7 week old ducks, 1 week old, and 3 day old.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ForDucksSake, May 5, 2017.

1. ForDucksSake

ForDucksSake Just Hatched

Apr 15, 2017
    Have 3 7 week old ducks. two are cayugas (one male one female.) and one is a crested (which breed of crested I do not know) he has a rather large crest and is much lighter than my cayugas. however, he thinks he is in charge and finds himself getting very aggressive towards anything except my cayugas and myself. got 5 baby mallards a week almost two weeks ago. Pretty sure I have 2 females and 3 drakes. my 7 week old crested doesn't seem like he is EVER going to accept them to run with them. he opens his mouth and charges even though there is a fence that always divides them, he shows no mercy and will bite at them through the divider. I am terrified how much damage can he really cause?! he is much larger than them and they are so super interested in the big ducks it's a hassle. now both my cayugas are creeps about the mallards as well but in a different sense. the female gets frantic and tries to figure out a way, any type of way, even if she comes close to injuring herself in her attempts, to get to the babies. is this her wanting to nurture them or wanting to attack them? bc even though my crested thinks he is in charge, she really rules the roost, and im afraid she might really want to harm them but she seems more concerned than upset. not to mention, she is my sweetest of the three. now my male cayuga attacks the crested for tryna run up on the babies, but he keeps his mouth held open anytime the babies are around and I just don't understand his protective yet stand offish demeanor. he even pecks the female cayuga if she is being too bossy with her quacks and stepping too close. is this normal? are cayuga territorial as heck or are they pretty easy going?

now about the mallards, what are their temperaments usually consisting of? are they hard to tame because mine are afraid of everything even cut in half red worms. the get as far away as possible. any way to break em of that?

and my last 3 3 day old ducklings, does anyone have any idea the breed [​IMG]

2. ForDucksSake

Apr 15, 2017
    @Miss Lydia maybe u can help or point me in the direction of one Hp can

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @ForDucksSake I am not sure what is going on with your older ducks and the lil Mallards other than just your older wanting to be dominant over the lil ones. It does take time for one group to accept the next that get introduced into their lil flock. Do you have an area set up out side for them all yet? I'm thinking on a nice warm days why not take them all out and toss treats on the ground and see how everyone acts when together. You'll be there to intervene of course. Or set it up so your older ducklings are on one side the Mallards on the other just like in the brooder and just let them spend time together like that. They will eventually get use to each other. It just takes time and patience. And we can't put a time limit on this either.

Drakes are territorial and they can be protective of their space it can come at an early age too evidently . So hopefully getting them out of their comfort zone will help them be more accepting of the lil ones. As for Cayugas temperaments I have never had this breed or Mallards so maybe go on those threads for advise on specifics.

Try putting your older female in with the Mallards to see how she reacts to them. If your standing right there you can get her out fast if she acts like she is going to attack. She maybe just curious.

Your 3 new lil ones look to be Pekins but could also be Buffs hard to say at such a young age. Where did you pick them up? They sure are cute lil things.

Wish I could be of more help but duck psycologist I am not. lol

4. ForDucksSake

Apr 15, 2017
    @Miss Lydia you are the most accepting one of my questions that I have come across on this site so I thank you very much for that. and yes the biggest babes are outside in their coop. I let em out into their big fenced in area in the mornings and coax em back in as soon as it begins getting dark. There's a heat lamp with em and the door locks so nothing can get to em.[​IMG][/IMG]

5. ForDucksSake

Apr 15, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

they love it outside. in a couple pics I made everything black and white except the birds so u could really c their colors

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are beautiful love the colors coming through on the blk.

7. ForDucksSake

Apr 15, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ForDucksSake

Apr 15, 2017
    [​IMG][/IMG]

9. ForDucksSake

Apr 15, 2017
    lol at beavis

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    beavis is adorable. What do you have 2 drakes and a female or 2 females and a drake?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by