lots of questions, gender? are they related? . . .

storminthenight

Songster
11 Years
Nov 22, 2008
Missouri
Most of our chickens are mixed breeds (I think, lol) so you probably wont be able to guess the breed on some of these, but I am wondering about the gender of some of our chicks this year. Here are the onces I'm not sure about . . .
1. I think this onces a girl, but she's from a younger hatch
Picture008.jpg

the next few I'm thinking they might be roo's?
Picture009-1.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture016-1.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Next are some we got from a swap meet this year, all ment to be hens or pullets.
1st we got two game hens, here is one of them (they look identical)
Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

They told me what breed they were called but I cant remember, something like ring necks?

2nd we got two barrack rock pullets?, this is one of them, again they are identical
Picture007.jpg

Picture022-1.jpg

3rd are two buff orpington pullets? . . .
Picture015-1.jpg

Next here are two different (what I think are pullets) that moms hatched this year . . .
A.
Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

B.
Picture003-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

I'm wondering if you think A or B might be game hen crosses, we got a game hen from the swap meet a couple of years ago and she hatched out 8 chicks outside of the chicken pen, we found the chicks but Fiesty was gone, we believe she died to save her chicks. here is a pic of her . . .
fiesty.jpg

B seems to look alot like her color and tail wise, but B would be Fiesty's grandaughter, Do they look like they might be related?

Ok and lastly I am wondering about one of our roosters, he has a funny comb, this is the best pic I could get of him last night
Picture021.jpg

Here is a pic I have of him from when he was younger, his comb wasnt as big at that time . . .
FlatheadRoo.jpg

He is about a year and a half old now, he was from the first batch I hatched myself. The only hen in our flock that I can see that has a more flattened comb is this one . . .
diamond.jpg

do they look like they might be related? otherwise I have no idea where his funny head came from? lol.

Ok I just did a bit of googling and am now wondering if the last rooster with the rose comb might be a Silver Penciled Wyandotte cross, and maybe the hen is a pure bred? and would be his mother.

OK here goes... wish me luck getting all of them:

1. Looks like she could be a little black Game pullet
2. through 5. look to be all roos
Sorry don't know the breed of the two game hens
I would say yes your BRs are pullets
Right BO is def a cockerel, you can see the start of saddle feathers coming out on its back... The left not really sure may be pullet.
A & B could both be game crosses(both pullets)... here's a pic of my Pheonix/game cross, but her legs are slate, probably from the pheonix line...
DSCF1662.jpg

And last two pics roo and hen silver pencilled Wyandottes

Thank You
smile.png

Well I'm glad both "maybe" games are girls, lol, I think they are both really pretty.
Looks like we will be taking some Roo's to the swap meet next year then. Its SOOO hard trying to pick which one's to keep.
The silver pencilled Wyandotte Roo is one of our keepers, he may have sired some of our chicks this year, I think he must be a SPW cross though.

The barred rocks look awfully light coloured to be females. The wheaten games are definitely female (wheaten is a variety/colour pattern, not a breed).

The rooster with the odd comb looks to be a (pet quality) silver penciled wyandotte. It is a rose comb.

From what I remember, it seems like most of them are right.

I may be confused about what you said, but just because chickens are the same color doesnt mean they are related.

The rooster with the "funny" comb has a rose comb - him and the last hen look to be silver penciled wyandottes.

The silver penciled wyandottes have to be related, because its the only hen of that breed we have, and the rooster is one I hatched out myself, and must be a cross with that hen.
The one pic of that Roo was when he was around 6 months old, I dont have any recent pics of him, except for the one I posted that shows his rose comb.

I wondering if the young game cross is related to our former game hen Fiesty because she was the only game hen we have ever introduced into our flock, she died defending 8 chicks that we raised, and so some of our hens are her daughters, so the young game cross (B) could be her grandaughter. I just thought it was odd how similar they look, since B would be Fiesty's grandaughter.

Does that make more sense? lol.

I think the BR's are girls, they must be at least 5 months old (guestimate). But I'm no expert, I've only had chickens for a coupld of years now, but I love having them, especially watching the chicks grow and change.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that as the roos mature their combs also mature in that they become larger, therefore he should have a bit larger of a comb that he did earlier on. I would agree on your guesses. The first one of the black pullet, is she a banty? She is pretty. You have a lot of very lovely birds. Lots of roos though. I hope you can get them downsized without problem.

I dont think we have any banty's, but I do have a black hen called George thats on the smaller side, so number 1 could be her daughter, plus 1 is only 2/3 months old so she still has some growing to do.
We shouldnt have a problem finding them homes, there is a local swap meet that we can take them to next year, its pretty big.
Thank you for helping me figure out the gender/breed on these guys
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom