lots of questions ( im a new chicken owner :] )

sarahloveschickens

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
Poconos, PA
OK so i just witnessed my silkie roo mating with my americauna hen.... i have a few questions..
How long till she starts laying fertilzed eggs?
How will I no if the eggs are fertilized?

I already made my incubator :] so thats all set and i no what temp to put the eggs at ( 99 degrees )

Thanks
Sarah

Not sure on how long it will take, I can't imagine long
wink.png

You can crack a few open and look for the bullseye.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102188

there's other threads on the subject also
smile.png

Well, if you want to make sure the eggs are fertile before wasting time incubating... in which case they will be no good for either hatching or eating at that point if they are not fertile... you can eat the first few, checking as you crack them open for the telltale bullseye mark. Then you can assume that any following eggs will be fertile for hatching

Or, you can put them in the bator..... if they grow, they were fertile, if not, possibly not.

Last edited:
I think I read it takes 2 days for the eggs to be fertile. So, if you had an all hen flock and tossed in a roo and he immediately starting doing his duty, the girls should start laying fertile eggs in 2 days.

Good luck!

Just remember that not all fertile eggs will develop all the way to hatching, due to a number of factors. We have tons of information on this site about incubating and hatching. Use the BYC search feature, it's great!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom