lots of questions ( im a new chicken owner :] )

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarahloveschickens, Nov 28, 2008.

1. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    OK so i just witnessed my silkie roo mating with my americauna hen.... i have a few questions..
    How long till she starts laying fertilzed eggs?
    How will I no if the eggs are fertilized?

I already made my incubator :] so thats all set and i no what temp to put the eggs at ( 99 degrees )

Thanks
    Sarah

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  3. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:what do you mean crack them open? You mean like break it open and look at the yolk.. well I dont want to kill the baby is there another way?

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, if you want to make sure the eggs are fertile before wasting time incubating... in which case they will be no good for either hatching or eating at that point if they are not fertile... you can eat the first few, checking as you crack them open for the telltale bullseye mark. Then you can assume that any following eggs will be fertile for hatching

Or, you can put them in the bator..... if they grow, they were fertile, if not, possibly not.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  5. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:thanks :]

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I think I read it takes 2 days for the eggs to be fertile. So, if you had an all hen flock and tossed in a roo and he immediately starting doing his duty, the girls should start laying fertile eggs in 2 days.

Good luck!

7. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:thanks :]

8. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Just remember that not all fertile eggs will develop all the way to hatching, due to a number of factors. We have tons of information on this site about incubating and hatching. Use the BYC search feature, it's great! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by