Lots of questions (new chick mommy)

AN

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Texas-South of DFW area
Well i took the plunge and bought six babies yesturday, but now i have many questions. I purchased them from TS, and i forgot to ask how old they are. But they are tiny.(i will post pic latter)

I have them in a rubber made tote with a heat lamp, i have been having a terrible time with the temp. I have it on one end, but when i let it get to 95 like i have read everywhere they CHIRP CHIRP like they are unhappy. Is it possible 95 is just to warm? (they seem to be very happy around 88 but that seems cool)

How old before i can tell if the are hen or rooster?

Can i over feed them, it seems they are eating ALOT?

We fenced off an area outside as long as it is in the 80's and they are supervised is it ok to put them out during the day for short periods of time?

TIA

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington State.

1- Age- If they still are balls of fluff they are only days old. It's amazing how fast they grow.From TS probably just 1-3 days.

2- As long as they can move around in the brooder they will be OK. 95 is not too hot(to start), if they can move away when they want. Keep the light at one end and they will self-regulate.(they can move to cooler spots if they need)

3- Can't help with sexing. Post Pics and others can give you they're thoughts.

4-You can't over feed, unless you are feeding them lots of junk or treats. Should be on some sort of starter mix.

5- I think the experts here recomend that they don't go outside until they get feathers.

Hope this helps,

Imp/Russ

Only a few days old if you've gotten them from TS.

One of the big mistakes that people make in brooding is to not allow them space to move around. If they're too warm and can not get to a cooler place, they'll most likely begin to exhibit agitation.

Boy, I don't think it's possible to overfeed. Mine are like eating monsters! The more they eat the better. If they were shipped to TS, they might need some sort of boost like Quick chick to overcome the stress. I call it Chicken Gatorade.

I've had my chicks out in warm weather. I put a simple circle pen up and they loved it. Never had a problem. If it's cool and windy, I'd not chance it. One of the worst things for chicks is to get chilled.

Sexing would be depending on the breed or breeds you've chosen.

Congrats!

Last edited:
What Scratchn By said.

It's kinda funny but when I raised chicks for the first time, I thought they had to be adult size to go outside.
roll.png

I kept them in the den until they were about 6 months old.
barnie.gif

Imp- Stupid and mischeivous

Thanks for posting those questions. I'm a new chick mom too and more info the better. I got my chicks from ideal and so far the only ones I can pretty adequately sex are my barred rocks. Good luck with your babies!

Back
Top Bottom