LOTS of questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I have several 'Is it true' questions-

Is It True- that if you pick chicks up it will shorten their lives?!?!?!?! (kind of doubting this...........)

Is It True- that chicks don't like being held when they really start getting their feathers in?

and

About grit-Do i sprinkle it on their food or in a separate bowl?

and

when do i put the in the coop? When they are all feathered out? When they can't squeeze through the wire? When the temp is the same as the brooder? or can i put them in the coop when they outgrow the brooder with the heat lamp?

Thanks SO much!

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    No handling them will not shorten their live, it does make them less fearful so possibly not as afraid of predators.Mine really didn't like being held till they were about 3 weeks old but slowly put your had in the brooder and try to pet them without scaring them to get them to adjust to you. Give them a small amount of some sort of healthy treat after they get a little older (2 weeks) out of your hand will tame them. That's when they will start needing grat or when you take them out into the yard for exercise annd they start eating grass and bugs. I have one now that would rather sit on my lap than eats the treats I bring them. Just put the grit in a seperate container. You should wait till they are feathered to put them outside without a heatlamp. One of mine squeezed through a 2x4 opening at 4 weeks. I added a row of poultry wire around the bottom of the run to stop that.

1 person likes this.
  3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    give your babies grit when you start giving them anything beyond their chick food. you can just put it in a bowl or sprinkle on the floor for them to scratch up.
    i put mine in the coop @ 3 wks. i kept them in the coop for about 10 days before i let them out. i kept a heat light going in one corner for them to huddle under when they wanted to. when i decided to let them out (my run is pretty big) hubby & i created a round "corral" at the pop door so they could learn to go in & out & experience the outdoors without being loose in the whole run. it worked perfect. i removed the corral when it seemed they were big enough to expand their world.
    good luck & have fun

1 person likes this.
  4. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    X-2 Chick starter is so finely ground and and formed .They really do not need grit.Like BJ said,they
    don't need it tell you start feeding them something they need to grind...cva34

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    If handling shortens their lives, mine sure won't live long. :lol:

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW

2x on that

7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut