Lots of sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nancy/pets, Jan 6, 2011.

1. nancy/pets

nancy/pets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Mcveytown,PA
    Help!!!! i have chickens and acouple of turkeys getting sick left and right:( They have runny nose,watery eyes, some of them have loud breathing. I have one that no longer has runny nose or watery eyes but once in awhile he still breaths loud. I have been putting them in my basement and in our shop which both are heated. Giving them antibiotics through water. No one really seems to be getting better. I just keep getting more sick chickens. I'm at a loss of what to do. My children were going to show for 4H again this year but thats not looking to good at this point.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It sounds as tho you're dealing with a respiratory virus so the antibiotics won't do you any good. The only way to know for sure what virus you're dealing with is to have one of the birds tested.

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    First we need to try to figure out why they are sick..... Are they exposed to alot of very cold temperatures or wet?

Second Antibiotics are great but its using the right one that makes a difference. Sounds like they need Duramycin. Dosage is 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water. Also if you dont have a problem giving injections, a shot of Tylan 50 a day for 3 days to a week along with the antibiotics in the water would be best. Dosage for Tylan 50 is 1/4cc for bantams, 1/2cc for standards and I have know idea what the dosage would be for the turkeys.

4. nancy/pets

Jan 6, 2011
    Mcveytown,PA
    I have thought about calling the 4H poultry leader to see what she had to say, i'd like to have one tested. I have givin them the duramycin, hope it works. I'm going to call around to see where I can get the Tylan 50 from. Thanks for your help. Hope they can get better or i'm going to have some very disapointed children. Their chickens are very much so pets to them!

5. nancy/pets

Jan 6, 2011
    Mcveytown,PA
    I forgot yes some of them are exposed to the cold. They love to run around out side. But that doesn't explain why the ones i have in the basement are still sick. They have been there for over a month know. It's like it goes back and forth between them.

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    The Tylan will help with the back and forth. If we have some that are really bad when I first find them then I give them 2 shots a day, one in the morning and 1 at night for 3 days, then I finish the week out with one shot a day. Trator Supply or Atwood's will have the Tylan. Its about $10 a bottle and will last forever. The shot is given in the chest. Is your basement moist? I know some basements have a moist damp feel to them, if that is true for yours then its not helping.

7. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Their has been an outbreak similar to that around here.Several poultry sellers have had big problems with it. Not sure if I ended up with the same they had or not,because my birds didnt start getting sick until our first cold front came through.We went from 80 to 30 overnight and I didn't have my tarps down,some of them got wet. After that it went from one bird to another. I tried water solutions and Tylan 50 to no avail.I used my own concoction and my birds started getting better in a couple days.Only problem is if you can get it from your vet. I mixed Enrofloxacin(Baytril) with B Complex half and half. (10 cc syringe would be 5cc Baytril/5cc B Complex). I administered 1/10th cc -2/10th cc per bird for 3 days on my bantams.On my bigguns They got 2/20-3/20th cc. One of the guys that sells around here I told about this.He tried it and within a week his whole flock(hundreds of birds) was better. two guys(buddies with seperate yards and hundreds of birds) tried the whole spectrum of OTC antibiotics and still lost LOTS of birds. and the one guy who buys and sells back and forth across state lines ended up selling sick stuff to someone across the line and got the state called in on him.MAke sure your not bringing it home or allowing anyone to bring it in.Chicken diseases are like Parvo in dogs.You can pick it up and take it with you.... Here no one is allowed in the back and have to disinfect at the front gates anyway.My back porch is a disinfect station also.

8. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    This sounds alot like what went on with my chickens & my buddy is still fightin it. I lost 8+ big stock chickens before I got it under control & my buddy has lost 15 & still countin. This is the way I treated & he is doin the same. When my first roo died, within 24hrs., I started treatin with CORRID Powder & did so for 6 days. I cleaned my hen house & everything around it. On the 4th day after stoppin the CORRID I wormed with WAZINE for 24hrs. Then I waited 8 days, gave all of them yogurt for a couple of days, then wormed with ZIMECTRIN GOLD on the 8th day. So far all my chickens seem to be doin great & have started back layin. Even my Bantys have started layin. I went out last night after they roosted & treated 3 of my big stock with VET-RX cause one had a runny eye & the other two had runny nostrils. My buddy just finished the CORRID & WAZINE. In 8 days we will worm his with the ZIMECTRIN GOLD. As of right now, he hasn't lost one in about 36hrs. The dosages I gave are: 1tsp of CORRID per gal. of water, 1oz. of WAZINE per gal. of water & with the ZIMECTRIN GOLD, 1 pea size for big stock & 1 B.B. size for Bantys on a very small piece of wheat bread to each bird. The VET-RX I just rubbed some on their heads, eyes, nostrils & under the wings.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine please read this you might have to type it in but it's an excellent article, and a must have for all BYC people.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  10. nancy/pets

Jan 6, 2011
    Mcveytown,PA
    No my basement is not damp. I'm going to try tractor supply tomorrow, local store carried tylan in 250 not 50. Thanks for all the help. going to move more chickens in the shop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by