Lots of Spilled Food Even With a Raised Feeder

Do you think natural remedies work for chickens?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sort of, but I need to do more research.

• Definitely not.

• Why bother when there are pharmaceuticals available?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TolkienChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
WOW, chickens are so messy. I hung my round, plastic feeder in the corner of the coop. They have spilled a lot of food underneath it, and it's kind of depressing to see them waste so much...also, it's not fun cleaning it all up. I tried putting a dish underneath, and it helps a little bit, but it would sure be nice if they brushed any spilled food into the dish when they're done eating. :) Anyone have advice? This is my first winter with chickens. Thanks!

How are they spilling it out? If with their feet, you need to raise it a little higher. Make the feeder about the same height as their back. If they're pushing it out with their beaks, you might want to consider a different type of feeder. Check the Learning Center tab above and you'll find information on different types.

Also, crumble feed is much easier to spill than pellet. If you're using crumble, you might want to change to pellet.

This is what I use for feeders...super easy to put together and cheap, too!

Above, inside the coop...

Above is out in the run (still haven't straightened out that center tube!) Two feeders and the one on the right is for oyster shell.

I have discovered that chickens, just like my 2 teenagers.. are fricking slobs.... but at least my kids don't crap everywhere ;)

I use a trough style feeder that my grandfather made decades ago... I've got it hung up on ropes at about their chest height. I've also got a row of nails up on the ceiling joists so I can move it up or down depending on the litter level. it seems to work for the most part.

Their water on the other hand... I think they try and spill it on purpose.

How are they spilling it out? If with their feet, you need to raise it a little higher. Make the feeder about the same height as their back. If they're pushing it out with their beaks, you might want to consider a different type of feeder. Check the Learning Center tab above and you'll find information on different types.

Also, crumble feed is much easier to spill than pellet. If you're using crumble, you might want to change to pellet.

Thanks! I'm already using pellet, but I will check the height, and the Learning Center.

Back
Top Bottom