LOTS OF TURKEY POULT QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by shaneensmith, May 20, 2019.

1. shaneensmith

shaneensmith Chirping

Nov 26, 2018
    Quesnel, BC
    #1. How long can i feed medicated feed to my 20 day old turkey poults?

#2. Found one dead this morning. Now another is dying. Its weak and lethargic and is having a hard time tweeting. The other poult that died was SUPER SMALL and had curled toes and could not chirp at all...it would chirp but no noise would come out and it lived for 20 days. It had a horrible hatch....wrong end of the egg and was stuck for 2 days...then i intervened and the little thing thrived...and just did not grow really it was so small :(

#3. I am feeding them medicated (CHICK) starter that says "poultry crumble" on it but it does not specifically say turkey. Is it ok to feed it to them?

#4. My poults r not sneezing at all....but at times they do let out one tiny sneeze....do turkey sneeze?

I don't want my birds dying it just seems all so strange to me why they would be.

Bedding is clean.
    Water is clean.
    Food is clean.
    They have ample space to roam.

Feeling discouraged :(

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Problem number 1... turkeys need more protein AND amino acids than chicks... they should be on a game bird starter with 28-30% protein.

Yes, all animals I have seen sneeze at one time or another.

Sorry, I'm not sure if the nutrition issue has anything to do with your current concern or not. :fl

3. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    Hi there! Everything sounds great, with the potential exception of your feed. I think they need gamebird/turkey/duck food, not chicken. It has a much higher protein percent and higher levels of certain vitamins they need. It could certainly be why they're failing to thrive.

What do you feed your adults? I believe they also need either gamebird or all-flock feed, not chicken.

4. Noellereagan

Noellereagan Songster

Jun 20, 2018
    Big Bend, Wisconsin
  5. Noellereagan

Noellereagan Songster

Jun 20, 2018
    Big Bend, Wisconsin
  6. Noellereagan

Noellereagan Songster

Jun 20, 2018
    Big Bend, Wisconsin
    Strange that she lived that long in my experience. Usually the ones that are sickly at hatch and destined to die do so within two or three days is what I’ve learned. But I could be wrong.
    I’m sorry for your loss and your worry. That can be terrible.
    Do they have enough heat?
    My guess is also the feed. I have to order food that’s high enough in protein for poults from my local TSC because they don’t carry it in the shelves but they can get it. Usually the mills stock it.
    Best wishes!

7. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The timing is right for coccidiosis which should be treated with Corid.

8. Molpet

Molpet Crossing the Road

could be a combination of feed and coccidiosis

9. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    I feed my turkeys gamebird starter.

R2elk and Noellereagan like this.
  10. Noellereagan

Noellereagan Songster

Jun 20, 2018
    Big Bend, Wisconsin
    Do you have to order it or does your source keep in on the shelf. I find in wi that you have to order it.

OsceolaMomma and R2elk like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: