lotsa pheasant questions

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by freerange freaks, Jun 8, 2008.

1. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    O.K. when are they fully feathered enough to go in a tractor outside with no heat?
    When am I going to be able to tell males for females? What are they called: hens? roosters?
    When do they get off the starter and switch to a grower?
    How long does it take for them to be fully mature? Laying? Are they seasonal layers?

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Such good questions. I have exactly the same ones so I will be checking back on this one!

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    What kind of pheasants are they?

4. freerange freaks

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    They are just your regular ring
    necked.

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    My ringnecks are out of the brooder by 3-4 weeks of age.
    I can somewhat accurately sex them by around 8 to 10 weeks, then the males facial skin will redden up.
    Females are called hens and males usually are called cocks.

As for switching feed, I gradually start when I move them outdoors at 4 weeks.

All pheasants are seasonal layers. Ringneck males feather out into full colour in the first year already, and hens will start laying in their first year as well(meaning this year hatch hens will lay next spring).

Hope this helps.
    Watch out with crowding with these birds, they need a lot of space and if they feel too corwded they will start taking eachother apart.

6. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    How big is your tractor pheasants need alot of space like 20 square feet a bird as adults some even suggest 150-200 square feet minimum for a pair.

7. freerange freaks

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for getting back to me. I had heard that they needed 75 square feet for a group of three hens and one cock. Is this way off? They are now 3 weeks old and completely covered in feathers and they can fly prettt good. I have to get them outside in a larger space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by