Lotsa Pip But Not Much Zip - Expert Help Needed Please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MAllen, Sep 11, 2009.

1. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    My chicks seem to be great out of the gate but short on stamina. I have eggs in the bator that have pipped, but 24 hours later they have not zipped. I can hear them peeping and se movement at the pips. Should I wait or help, hmmm, what do you experts recommend??

Matt

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    If you still hear and see movement then they are still doing ok. Make sure the humidity stays up. Last night I had to help 4 out because It had been over 24 hrs that they pipped and I didn't hear anything. I am glad I did because it had started to harden up around them.

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Have you opened the incubator? What is the humidity percentage. Above all, DO NOT OPEN THE INCUBATOR.

Really.

Give them another 12 hours or so. Nothing worse than helping a chick and having it die because you did so too soon. Been there, done that.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Agree with pathfinder...as hard as it is...just wait. [​IMG] If they go another 12 hours without zipping, then you MIGHT want to consider helping out. It's not at all unusual for a chick to pip for more than 24 hours before zipping. It pips as it's getting it's head under the right wing in preparation for hatching. You can imagine that in that small a space, it takes a while.

Also...the humidity is crucial during this phase to keep it moist inside so the chick can maneuver.

Keep us posted!!

5. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Thanks All! The incubator is a HovaBator 1588 and this is it's first run. My electronic temp/humidity meter says that it has held it's temp really well and it shows the current humidity to be 81%. So, i should give them another 12 hours?

Thanks again for the help!

6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I'd definitely wait. If you see no movement...that's when I'd quickly grab one egg and carefully start peeling the shell.

7. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    If you do peel the shell on a chick who has taken a long time hatching, do it VERY carefully. If you see the slightest sign of blood, stop. If not, and you keep going, you might want to do it under warm running water, in case there's any sticky goop to remove. Be sure to dry it off as much as possible (while still keeping warm, it's a real juggling act) and put it back in the incubator to wait for the others. Then later move them all to the brooder together.

8. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    I'm sorry, I should have also mentioned that four chicks have hatched already. It's the other 27 that seem to be on the slow boat. Out of those half pipped yesterday in the early AM.

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    They'll probably all bust out at once! I think the peeping from the ones in the incubator encourages those that have pipped but not zipped yet.

If the temp has been even a little bit on the lower end, they may very well take a bit more time.

I'm on day 21 today and have one that hatched and only one other pip. I know there were live chicks inside all nine eggs when I locked it down on day 18...so at least you have pips!! [​IMG]

10. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Woohoo!!! Thanks everyone, you guys were right. Eleven more have hatched and almost all of the other eggs have pipped. My buff orp chicks are cute... And slippery (grin).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by