Lotsa Q's

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrizzleFreak, Apr 30, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the trick to candling Wellie eggs?
    When I can't find the air cell, does that mean the egg is dead? Or is it going to pip soon? It's at the right age for pipping...
    Also, some of my eggs that I stole from my broody are light on both sides? There is a definite air cell, of the right size and on the right end, and there is veining on the pointy end. Again, dead? I can't see movement, I can just barely see anything with my half dead flashlight.
    And (I know this doesn't technically go here) what on EARTH would cause a chicken to lay an egg without a yolk? We've been calling them "diet eggs". They are 22 grams (my frizzles lay 35 grams) and about as long as the first two knuckles of my pinky. I've seen up to 3 yolks in an egg, but never 0....
    Tanks!

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    When you get eggs without a yolk, its usually when a hen first starts laying. I wish I could help you with the candling but I have no clue how to do that. LOL I will learn eventually. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by