1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lotsa Quail Questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jenmiller, Oct 8, 2011.

1. jenmiller

jenmiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have a clear aquarium for the brooder box is that okay or should i use something else?? I find that they get sick a die more then they should in the aquarium, i clean out the poop everyday but it still seems to happen. how much should i feed them when they are almost 2 weeks old (34 chicks)? When should i take them out of the brooder box and when is it okay to put them outside in a shed and how do i keep them warm if they are in a wire cage?? what size wire should i use to make thier cage?? How many chicks per cage?? how many weeks old before they start laying? Will any of the quail lay in the winter? Why do the Quail that i got from my friend seem stressed out?? they have been here about a week and have not moved since we brought them here?? They do that crazy flying thing that could break thier necks!!!!

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    What kind of Quail? Need to know that first. [​IMG]

3. jenmiller

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    Coturnix Quail (pharaoh and Italian)

4. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Okay what kind of quail do you have?

I have only had coturnix quail the advise below is from lurking on here and from raising my first set (in June 2011?)

Fish Tank is fine, I am using a fish tank.

Weak chicks will die.
    Fish tank problems could be air flow/ too much heat? {Fish tank has some germies in their from your previous use? I used water and vinegar to clean then tank then spray with diluted clove oil - after that I change it everyday with newspaper and sawdust but I don't disinfect it until the next batch}

Feed food them.. I stick food on the a jar lid and fill it up as soon as it empties (I changed mine twice a day... )
    I now fill up a 30cm tray feed twice a day (about 2 weeks of age for 37 birds)

Depending on the weather you could push it at four weeks to pull them out but look at their feather growth. And how you have acclimatised them.
    I start pulling the light higher about every 4-5 days (6-7 if I cant be bothered).

If they are fully feathered they should be fine however protect them from drafts... I dont get snow where I live.

Wire should be wide enough to put your pinky finger through.. don't go for the one that is smaller cos the poo will stick

How many chicks per a cage?; I am not too sure of size, but for bird ratio 4 females to 1 male is what you could do.

laying eggs 6-8 weeks depending how light and growth rate (dependent on food) and is subject to quail law (JJ explains {he's an egg lawyer in quail egg law} it very well in other posts asking about quails not laying eggs).

They can lay in the winter - They need light to lay (coturnix).

Your quail are stressed out cos you need to give them a food massage (Sorry not too sure how you moved them and if you changed their feed, where they live, how long was the journey, if you added any other quail, ect)

Freaky flying neck thing? - oops [​IMG] I just realised that you didnt specify which breed so now I have typed that I am referring to coturnix

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Fish tanks make wonderful brooders for quail chicks. That's what I use for smaller amounts. It holds in heat very well. Not the best idea for adults because of ammonia buildup which can cause ventilation problems.

6. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Jen,
    There is much I still need to learn, but will see if I can help a little until the experts get here. :)

Is it a 10gal. tank?
    It sounds to me they may be over crowded. 34 chicks is alot for that space. Even though you are cleaning it everyday, a tank doesn't have alot of air circulation, and the ammonia may become overwhelming.

Coturnix chicks grow fast and to me that's crowding them.
    Alot of us use large plastic totes.

It's possible with that many in a tank they are overheating too. I would find something bigger.

I can't really tell you an amount of food, but can tell you that Quail should Always have food available! They browse and nibble all day long!

I'm not sure when would be a good time to move them out, or keeping them warm. That's something I need to work on myself.

Wire, it's suggested 1/2" square. Any smaller poop wont fall through, bigger , hard on their feet and leaves the open to prey.

It's believe it's one square foot per bird, but not positive.

Also recommended 1 male to 3 or 4 female per cage.

They start to lay between 6-8 weeks. But may not this time of year due to cold setting in and days getting shorter. They need at least 14 hrs of light to lay , and kept warm.

If they seem stressed and are not very active, are they warm enough? What are you doing to provide heat?

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    With 34 chicks you may try a sterilite storage container. I have some photos on my website. But Jo jo is right, the fish tank may be too small and they are overcrowding especially with the rapid growth rate of these boogers.

8. jenmiller

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    Quote:Okay what kind of quail do you have?

I have only had coturnix quail the advise below is from lurking on here and from raising my first set (in June 2011?)

Fish Tank is fine, I am using a fish tank.

Weak chicks will die.
    Fish tank problems could be air flow/ too much heat? {Fish tank has some germies in their from your previous use? I used water and vinegar to clean then tank then spray with diluted clove oil - after that I change it everyday with newspaper and sawdust but I don't disinfect it until the next batch}

Feed food them.. I stick food on the a jar lid and fill it up as soon as it empties (I changed mine twice a day... )
    I now fill up a 30cm tray feed twice a day (about 2 weeks of age for 37 birds)

Depending on the weather you could push it at four weeks to pull them out but look at their feather growth. And how you have acclimatised them.
    I start pulling the light higher about every 4-5 days (6-7 if I cant be bothered).

If they are fully feathered they should be fine however protect them from drafts... I dont get snow where I live.

Wire should be wide enough to put your pinky finger through.. don't go for the one that is smaller cos the poo will stick

How many chicks per a cage?; I am not too sure of size, but for bird ratio 4 females to 1 male is what you could do.

laying eggs 6-8 weeks depending how light and growth rate (dependent on food) and is subject to quail law (JJ explains {he's an egg lawyer in quail egg law} it very well in other posts asking about quails not laying eggs).

They can lay in the winter - They need light to lay (coturnix).

Your quail are stressed out cos you need to give them a food massage (Sorry not too sure how you moved them and if you changed their feed, where they live, how long was the journey, if you added any other quail, ect)

Freaky flying neck thing? - oops [​IMG] I just realised that you didnt specify which breed so now I have typed that I am referring to coturnix

I cleaned the cage with bleach water and pine cleaner so i dont think that was the problem. Your probably right about the space problem, so what size plastic container would you use for that many chicks??

The heat i dont think they are getting enough, it stays a steady 75 degrees in the room that they are in and i keep the heat lamp on them 24/7. They seem too cold they all huddle up together but im not sure what that means.

With the ones i moved, only moved like a mile, same food, no quail added...i dont get it!

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Ok 2 weeks old, the need bigger space. Look at my website under biddie care, should give you some ideas [​IMG] at around 5 weeks they can go on wire. What are you feeding them?

10. jenmiller

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    Chick Starter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by