Loud babies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Debnboyd, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Debnboyd

Debnboyd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2012
    We moved our babies outside a week ago and they were fine. We had a heat lamp out there to keep them warm. 2nd night out they were chirping sooo loud we thought a predator was out in the backyard so we brought them in the house for the night. But the next 5 nights they were fine out there. Last night, we put them in their mostly finished new coop (on back patio) with their heat lamp and AGAIN they were chirping very loud. We were worried they would bother the neighbors (they were that loud) we brought them in again for the night. Problem was, they continued the loud chirping. This has only happened at night. Any ideas on what could be causing this? or how to quiet them down once they get riled up? I normally love listening to them talk.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    They are scared of their new location. do you put some kind of bedding for them.? make sure the heat lamp is not too hot ! water is a must. maybe put a small stuff toy in there with them ! They will stop once they love their new place !

3. Debnboyd

Sep 8, 2012
    We put pine shaving down for them, a roosting bar, water and food. Heat lamp was hanging down but its a 3x5x4 coop so it wasn't too hot. One side was chicken wire so we put a blanket on it to help keep heat in. We'll be finishing it tomorrow and move it out to the big yard to acclimate them with our older two girls. Just felt so bad for them. It was like they were scared. My son has a stuffed chicken, maybe I'll put that one in with them and see if that helps.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    How old are they? If they are fully feathered they won't need the heat lamp and it may be keeping them awake, to make the noise. I agree that the new location is putting them off. In time with familiarity of the new place they will quite down.

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    In all the hatches that I have done, I have only had the babies chirping obnoxiously for two reasons...

1.) They were cold. Put a thermonmeter under the heat lamp and make sure the temps are right. Some nights might be colder than others and it might be effecting how warm they are.

2.) LIGHTS.... My babies were use to have lights on in the house. The freaked out when we shut off the lights to go to bed. If anything is different outside as opposed to inside, they are going to freak out.

6. Debnboyd

Sep 8, 2012
    We are going to keep them in the house until the coop is 100% finished, then put them out there for the day and see how they are. It's probably the in, the out, the in, the out with them they don't like. Found a good stuffed animal of my son he doesn't want anymore so I'm hoping this will work. They are fully feathered so we'll cut the heating lamp as long as its still warm out.

Thanks everyone for the advice. We appreciate it!

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If the light has been on all that time, they are used to having a light like math ace said. I put a tiny night light out there for a while first when I move them to the coop.

Little ones like that holler for only two reasons: They're cold, or they're scared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by