1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loud bawking...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AKnewbie, Sep 25, 2012.

1. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Is this part of normal chicken egg laying (or preparing for egg laying) behavior?
    I heard a very loud bawking and rushed to the coop (I was afraid they were being attacked).
    Didnt see anything and I probably shouldve left them alone.
    How do I know if it's just your ordinary chicken bawk or a distressed call?

2. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    They can be quite loud. I recently sent one of my hens to the country to live as she was so loud every morning. Once they lay they seem to quiet down but our lots are small so I wanted to not disturb our neighbors.

3. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    Egg laying creates lots and lots of drama, get used to it. I can't tell the difference between egg drama and sounds of an attack either. The only way to make an educated guess is, if it sounds like it is in the coop, it's probably just the egg song. If it sounds too far away or strange in any way you might want to check it out.

Also, I recently got a dog who likes to hang out in or near the coop, when the girls are singing their egg song, she howls with them...if there is a predator the dog is barking and growling, so that helps me tell the difference. Maybe you should get a chicken guard dog?

Even with the dog, I still end up rushing out to the coop a couple times a week only to find one of the girls yelling about someone else being in her favorite nest box. There is no end to the drama they can create when an egg is imminent.

4. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Yes they seem to fuss when a hen is already in the preferred laying box.

5. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LOL. That is so fascinating.
    So they quieted down a bit but I didn't see them in their run. And the ducks were inside their own coop too.
    I got worried and checked and there was a hen in one of the nesting boxes.
    I wonder why they all go inside when only one is doing her business?
    And the ducks too? (ducks have a separate coop door, same building but separated)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by