Loud Chick= Sleepless nights!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Beka, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Beka

Beka Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Tyne and Wear, UK
    I have a week only booted bantam chick with attitude. For the past few nights she has refused to stop 'screeching' until someone picks her up, this goes on the whole night, last night I gave in and let her sleep in the bed but this isn't really practical to be doing once she's a bit bigger... any ideas? PLEASE?

2. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    This one is easy. Get an old heating pad, cover it with a couple paper towels and put it in there. Then borrow or find a beanie baby or other stuffed animal that looks like a bird and put in in there on the heating pad. This works for us every time-- no more loud anxious peeping! Good Luck!

3. Beka

Beka Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Tyne and Wear, UK
    Oh no! Shes not giving in that easy! I've had that set-up since she hatched in hope this wouldn't happen! Shes got a duck in there with her but it apparently just doesn't compare to a 'real' hug.
    I really need to sleep tonight!

4. ybmagpye

ybmagpye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Fair Oaks, California
    I kid you not, I read somewhere in this forum that a chick was shreiking and they cured her by putting a photo of her owner next to her pen. Sounds screwy, but the guy said it was the truth. What can it hurt to try?

If I run across that posting, I'll pop it in here later.

5. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Any chance of getting her another chick to keep her company?

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    How about a mirror? I just say a posting from another user that was doing this and the chick is happy.

7. cattbird

cattbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    The mirror has worked great for us... only a little bit of mad cheeping now!!

8. allquackedup

allquackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Hope the mirror works, I am a little late for a reply but read our post about our lone RIR chick. This chick would get loud... every time you got out of sight . Since the featherduster just chirps when we are insight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by