LOUD chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mikeangie, Sep 26, 2010.

1. mikeangie

mikeangie New Egg

Sep 26, 2010
    we are new to raising chickens and we live in an urban area with neighbors
    It seems, and im not sure that one of our four buff orpingtons is yelling out some sort of a whooping mating call to the next town
    the neighbors are going to come over with torches and pitch forks if I cant figure out how to keep them quite
    They have been laying for one month now
    your input much apprecieted
    [​IMG]

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My orp usually yells for a reason. If you don't see an evident cause to her loud behaviour throw out some scratch she'll quiet down

3. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    I can see it now, your chickens tied up around a wooden pole in a fire mound, with all of your neighbors standing there with their pitchforks! and a big, black cauldron next to the fire! Pour babies!!! [​IMG]

4. jjhere

jjhere Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Smidge north of Seattle
    Our BO started laying about a week ago. For about 2 weeks now she has been VERY vocal in the morning - usually between 6:30 and 7:30. We also live in an urban area and I'm fully planning on bribing the neighbors with some fresh eggs as soon as all the girls jump an the egg production bandwagon. Until then, I stumble out there half-asleep, throw some scratch on the ground and let them out of the hen house. That usually keeps her quiet for at least an hour or so.

HTH,
    Julie

5. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 Buff Orpington hens and TWO of them are screamers! If one gets tired, the other starts in. For awhile I thought it was just one of them being so loud, until I watched them long enough to see the switch. All day. Sun-up to sun-down. And it isn't because there's some kind of 'problem'. They're .........just............LOUD! But some chickens are like that and I really don't mind. All my chickens are legal so it doesn't matter if any neighbors mind the noise or not. It's not like I have an overabundance of neighbors, and the ones I DO have probably can't hear my chickens over the constant roar of their hordes of barking dogs.

[​IMG]

6. Silattahoe

Silattahoe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    We are new chicken owners as well and I also didn't have any idea hens could be so noisy! We don't have many neighbors (mostly second homes) but I was worried that the one neighbor behind us who I don't know personally would be upset and come over. After 3 months he hasn't yet and I am thinking that maybe it is just me that hears the chickens being so noisy because I am worried. If he ever complains, I will try to bribe him with fresh eggs. Oh, and it helped me to figure out why and when the hens are noisy: it's always when one of them is in the coop laying and egg. The other 2 will be in the run and sqawk as loud as they can. If I go in after the laying of the egg and remove the egg, they usually calm down. But I also often run out at 6AM to throw them some food scraps to quiet them down.

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:[​IMG] the crows are louder then my hen.

8. pwappers

pwappers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    We have a dozen birds and there is one girl who makes a ruckus for about an hour every afternoon. Continually hollering, every day, same time. She just struts around under our trees yelling out her wares or something. I dunno. I just close the windows. Our neighbors are all gone this time of day so it doesn't bother them. Chickens are weird.

9. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have two buffs orps... they are the loudest chickens I have.

10. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I get a kick out of my 12 hens, and the 2 I adopted.

I will go sit on my chair on the back porch, and they will gather around my feet and usually a few jump up on my legs. I toss my goodies on the ground and off they go. When the foods eaten they sit around growling at eachother. That is really funny, and I think my BRs or EE'ers are really loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by