loud chickens in town

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ga_goat, May 18, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    if anyone is having trouble with roosters crowing and neighabors complaining , get a potted plant called , mother-in - law-tounge break the tip of a leaf ( it's similar to aloe) and squeeze a drop into the roo's mouth he won't make a sound for 4 or 5 days .
    I've tried it here and it works .

2. EggSpudition

EggSpudition Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Really? I never thought about it-- sounds like you'd had some success with it-- are there are any downsides to it?
    [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It more than likely has something in it that paralizes the vocal cords or maybe even the throat......I don't think I'd recommend doing it.

4. spotman47

spotman47 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    palmyra wi
    Last time my girls( hens) were so loud for some reason it was raining lightly and i locked them out of there coop for a few hours and they did'nt say a thing for about three days ! Chickens can even hold a grudge!

5. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    It more than likely has something in it that paralizes the vocal cords or maybe even the throat......I don't think I'd recommend doing it.

I didn't notice any down side at all the roosters were eating , drinking , servicing the hens all normally they just couldn't make a sound ,,, they tried to crow but nothing came out . I don't have any problem with them crowing here but an older lady down the road told me about it and I tried it .

6. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Mother-in-law's tongue is sometimes also called dumb cane -- both unflattering names that allude to this house plant's tongue numbing sap.

The dumb cane is so named because its toxic sap, if ingested, can cause a painful loss of speech. It forms a thick, green, canelike stem topped off by a cluster of large, fleshy, oval to lance-shaped leaves lightly to heavily marbled in white or yellow.

Hope it helps! Not sure if its true it is painful or not, Thats what the site said though!

7. EggSpudition

EggSpudition Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh my-- at the very least it's interesting! Luckily my little rosecomb roo (smaller than a football) has a pathetic little squawk that sounds like a baby coughing... he ehee

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
  10. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    sounds terrible! maybe you should take the elder women some eggs and a chicken dinner and have a nice talk about it? that way maybe you do not have to rehome or poison your bird. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by