loud chickens in town

ga_goat

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Lowndes County Ga
if anyone is having trouble with roosters crowing and neighabors complaining , get a potted plant called , mother-in - law-tounge break the tip of a leaf ( it's similar to aloe) and squeeze a drop into the roo's mouth he won't make a sound for 4 or 5 days .
I've tried it here and it works .

Really? I never thought about it-- sounds like you'd had some success with it-- are there are any downsides to it?
frow.gif

Last time my girls( hens) were so loud for some reason it was raining lightly and i locked them out of there coop for a few hours and they did'nt say a thing for about three days ! Chickens can even hold a grudge!

It more than likely has something in it that paralizes the vocal cords or maybe even the throat......I don't think I'd recommend doing it.

I didn't notice any down side at all the roosters were eating , drinking , servicing the hens all normally they just couldn't make a sound ,,, they tried to crow but nothing came out . I don't have any problem with them crowing here but an older lady down the road told me about it and I tried it .

Mother-in-law's tongue is sometimes also called dumb cane -- both unflattering names that allude to this house plant's tongue numbing sap.

The dumb cane is so named because its toxic sap, if ingested, can cause a painful loss of speech. It forms a thick, green, canelike stem topped off by a cluster of large, fleshy, oval to lance-shaped leaves lightly to heavily marbled in white or yellow.

Hope it helps! Not sure if its true it is painful or not, Thats what the site said though!

Quote:
Oh my-- at the very least it's interesting! Luckily my little rosecomb roo (smaller than a football) has a pathetic little squawk that sounds like a baby coughing... he ehee

sounds terrible! maybe you should take the elder women some eggs and a chicken dinner and have a nice talk about it? that way maybe you do not have to rehome or poison your bird. good luck

Back
Top Bottom