LOUD chickens

sassafrasscoco

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2016
Hi-
My chickens are REALLY loud. We live in kinda a suburb so I don't want to bother the neighbors or else we will have to get rid of them. It starts around 10 in the morning and then they just quit at 3 or 330. What should I do???? I am desperate for answers. I don't want to get rid of them. There is 4 of them. They have plenty of food, water, and they have over 100 square feet of roaming space. What should I do?
Thank you-
Sassafras Coco

Yep, chickens can be loud....all chickens, not just the crowers.
It's part of the Romance meets Reality concept of actual chicken ownership.
Pullets just coming into lay can be very vocal, but it mostly settles down after they get it all in gear.
But even then, some birds are loud blabbermouths...it's not a breed thing but more an individual bird thing.

There's not much you can do about it.

Pics of your birds and coop/run might help someone spot a problem.
More info about how old they are, how long you've had them, what and how exactly you are feeding them might help too.

They are 6 months old, I've had them from day 1. I have 2 buff orphingtons and 2 welsummers. They get along just fine like sisters. They live right up against the house in a 10ftx20ft fenced in area, and they have a 5ftx8ft coop, they have a gallon of fresh water, a huge food thing, and I give them treats like meal worms or corn regularly. I just don't know why they are so loud. It drives me crazy. They are spoiled and they love people exept for one of the welsummers but she's getting better. I just don't want to have to get rid of them. Here is a pic of them . . .

welcome-byc.gif

I agree some birds are just noisy. Pullets coming into lay especially, but some never really quiet down.

Are your birds legal?

I don't think you have much to worry about if they are. I think new chicken owners are more sensitive to the noise their birds make than the neighbors are. They're not crowing at the break of dawn, it's just normal sounds during the middle of the day.

And just cause you posted a pic, at least one of your "Welsummers" isn't, she's an Easter egger---the darker one in the back. I can't see the front one well enough to say for sure, but she may be a Wellie.

'Huge food thing'....exactly what kind of feed is in it?

The treat thing .....they may have you trained....if you bring them treats when they sound off......common occurance.

Neither are welsummers.......wellies have dark yellow legs.

Are they laying yet?
The cacophony you are hearing could well mean eggs on the way soon.

Yes they are legal and they have been laying for a few weeks now. Just the other day I got a green egg. The feed is organic crumbles- they love it. I don't think that the dark one is an easter egger becuase she has a golden neck- but i think that the other brown one is and the greeen egg was hers.

Back
Top Bottom