Loud chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by artsyrobin, Mar 7, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Hi everyone,i have 2 bantam chicks, they are loudly peeping, my standards never made so much noise! if i hold them they snuggle down to sleep- - they have food,water and the lamp- any suggestions or is that normal?

2. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    are they quite warm enough?

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i was wondering if they may be too warm? when i pick them up they snuggle down and go to sleep, reminds me of puppies- its their first nite here too.

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Puppies will cry when they are too cold or uncomfortable as well. They may need more warmth. Or maybe try a stuffed animal in the brooder. Maybe they want something to cuddle with? Not that I am any expert, but in my experience they don't really tend to cry if they are too warm.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had one batch of new chicks that were in a brooder with the temperature at 95 degrees and they just wouldn't settle down. I warmed it up several degrees and they quieted right down. You wouldn't think such a small change would make that big a difference, but it does.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Ok, i think i have it figured out- they settle down when cupped in my hands- soo- i have a beanie baby bat - real soft, it is sitting in the corner of their brooder, so they can snuggle under its wings- and like magic, they relaxed and went to sleep.... silly babies!

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:Oh thats silly funny. I cant believe that worked... lol.

8. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Awwww... I hope you take a picture!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by