loud chirping and major head scratching

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rbregn, Mar 13, 2015.

1. rbregn

rbregn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    We have 8 new chicks. All was fine until this morning. 1st full day home. She just started chirping loudly and scratching her head. Been going on nonstop for a half hour now. The others start picking at her when she flops on her back. What is wrong with her. Her legs look fine. I don't see anything wrong with her.

2. rbregn

Dec 17, 2014
    Her head is tilted to the left when sitting.

3. rbregn

Dec 17, 2014
    Well we come to the conclusion she has some kind of neck injury. I think she might have a spastic muscle and when in spastic she is trying to scratch it. My have to call my Chiropractor and see if see works on chicks!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Were these chicks shipped to you or did they come from a farm store (where chicks are usually shipped?) I would try dipping it's beak into a vitamin/electrolyte solution such as SaveAChick or gatorade as often as you can for the next few hours, while giving it time to swallow. She sounds like she has wry neck, which is a neurological symptom that could be related to an injury to the head, a vitamin deficiency, or from just being severely dehydrated or from shipping stress.

5. rbregn

Dec 17, 2014
    We got them from North 40, a farm store. She has been drinking along with everyone else. We are giving her 1 baby aspirin to a quart of water solution. It seems to be helping, Will know more a little later. I haven't heard her go spastic for a while. Hope this helps,Poor thing like to be held. I hate to have to put her down. Hope she gets better.

6. rbregn

Dec 17, 2014
    Ya, we are pretty sure it is wry neck. Thanks, we are treating her for it. She will get better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by