loud chirping and watery poo….normal or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wabbit Mama, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Wabbit Mama

Wabbit Mama New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    Northern California
    I've got a barred rock girl and buff orpington girl. Both are a less than two weeks old and came from the local feed store about a week ago. The buff orp is VERY noisy! Checked the temperature and it seems okay - no one is huddling for warmth or hiding in corners. Plenty of food (medicated starter crumble) and water.

For the last couple days, the buff orp has been extremely noise at all hours with no rhyme or reason. Tried keeping the bedroom lights on during the day to keep them more awake during the day so they would sleep better at night. Tried turning on the radio in the room to give them some noise/company during the day. They've got a PopTarts box to play in (Peep Tarts!) and I find them sleeping in it or on top of it. I put a cardboard toilet paper roll for some entertainment. But she keeps chirping!

Sometimes she peeps happily like the barred rock or quietly naps, but she is often outlandishly noisy for no apparent reason. Quiet for a nap then it begins again. The only odd thing I've noticed is that her poo is clear and watery with not a lot of solid stuff in it. I often find this little girl stretching out her wings and legs when she is laying down. When chirping, she is standing up in the middle of the brooder, just chirping her head off. She does't seem distressed, but I could be wrong.

Is this just normal, albeit very noisy, chick behavior? Anything I should check or do or watch for? HELP!! Thanks in advance!

2. All sounds normal. Chicks do chirp. But mostly they sleep, eat and poop. Chick starter and water with warmth will iron out most things they face. It could be more serious but usually not. Time will tell.

Wish ya the best.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Do they have a heat lamp?

4. Wabbit Mama

Wabbit Mama New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    Northern California
    Yes, they do have a heat lamp. The lamp hangs over about half of their box, so there is area to get away from the heat if they are too hot. I don't think she's too cold because I find her laying around with her wings and legs stretched out and she's not huddled with the barred rock for warmth. Both girls wander all over the box, which makes me think it's not a temperature thing….though I could be wrong :)

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Her poop should not be watery,is it possible she may have been eating the cardboard? Check her crop for any crop issues as in an impact from digesting cardboard or shavings. If they are eating anything other than chick feed,they need grit to digest food.

Also if you are a new chick keeper,make sure you are familiar with the symptoms of Coccidiosis.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Throw thermometer in there to see what the temps are under the light then farthest away from the light.

If it's too hot they drink a lot of water thus they watery poops.

Second the crop check and Coccidiosis possibility.

7. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    How do you check their crop?

8. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I would treat for Coccidiosis ASAP just to be on the safe side! Good luck!

9. Chris Duke

Chris Duke Out Of The Brooder

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The crop is on the right side if their chests, when it is full it is pretty easily seen and felt.
    Crop should be empty in the mornings after sleeping all night without access to feed.
    If the crop is not emptying, it's problem.

Temperature of the brooder is the first thing to check, then coccidiosis treatment.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by