loud chirping chicks

skymonkey

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Our bunch of new chicks just hatched and since its so cold outside we are keeping them inside till they get big enough to go outside. They have been chirping so loud its annoying. My son put a sleep noise machine next to them on rain and they hardly make a sound now. Just thought I'd throw that bit of info out for everyone incase anyone else was having similar problems.

Nice idea!! I never would have thought of that...
smile.png

Yep should be plenty warm. They are in a very large cooler with a heat lamp on one end and they are scattered all over the cooler and not bunched up which would indicate they were to cool. Thermometer on the cool end is around 80 so they should be fine.

My chicks chirp loudly also, I don't think that's unusual. They do chirp louder if they get spooked or something exciting happens in the pen. I like the idea of the "rain" maker, great thinking!
thumbsup.gif

CJ

I'm like gritsar: I have had many many chicks in the house in a brooder and the only time they got loud was when there was a problem...

Free choice food and water? Could they be too hot?

Yep plenty food and water, we keep both full at all times. Its not that they are being excessively loud or anything but its not a huge house and sound carries good in here. It also attracts the attention of our pitbullies who could easily get to them if they wanted. They are good dogs though and don't bother anything they aren't supposed to. Its my understanding that new chicks need to be kept about 100 degrees and with the heat lamp on one end and an 80 degree reading on the other end they shouldn't be to hot either. Its just that the chirping gets annoying after awile and the sleep machine really does the trick. The jungle setting with predator bird noises throws them into a frenzy though.....lol.

Back
Top Bottom