Loud Chirping, movement-- no piping!?

Momma_Cluck

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
N. West Michigan
We have a hen in the house hatching 3 eggs for us (will remove the babies after they hatch)

one is moving and chirping loudly-- but there is no hole in the shell yet... is this something to worry about?
How long do we wait before helping?

Our house is VERY dry, so the humidity could be an issue-- should we most or put a pan of boiling water in the room??

Thanks All!!

Just walk away and don't interfere. Mama hen will take care of everything. IF the egg doesn't hatch (and I think chances are almost 100% it will), then there was something wrong with the chick. A broody hen is THE best incubator there is. Just give it time. Sometimes it takes up to 24 hours after it pips. Now, if the other two hatch and there's still no pip, then I might consider intervening. I once had an egg that had been chirping for days and all the others had hatched. I figured I didn't have anything to lose and I carefully chipped open the egg and that little guy came out and did fine. I named him Lucky. As far as humidity in the house, you don't need to worry about it. Mama hen has all the humidity necessary in her feathers and body. Relax; go have a glass of wine. (my cure for everything! LOL)

WOOPS!

That healthy lil bugger just gave a shove and the egg split right in half!

We now have the 1st of 3 eggs open... it's a pretty little black Silkie baby!

Fingers crossed for the other 2....

I forgot to say that we plan to remove the chicks to a brooder as they hatch so they bond with us instead of the OE banty setting on the eggs...

Last edited:
Awww, that's so great! Good luck with the other two. I always feel sorry for the little broody when her babies are taken away but I guess, within a few days, she forgets all about them?

Back
Top Bottom