Loud Chirping.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by captainmommy3, Mar 3, 2012.

1. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Ok, so i have 2 week old baby chicks. One in particular seems attached to me she will fly up while i fill the food dish and perch next to me, she even eats out of my hand. well i have noticed for a while that when i go in to check on them she starts making a louder( not overly loud) tweeting noise like *tweet tweet tweet* she will continue this until i sit down and just hang out with them for a few or until i leave. she is very healthy she eats drinks and sleeps fine but i am curious is this like wen baby chicks call their mother or is it something else? she looks up at me the whole time she does it and she doesnt run away or anything so i cant imagine that i am scareing her.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Chick has bonded to you. Chirping is a contact call. At close range subtle changes in pitch, notes and volume indicate all is well or food is good. When you are separated pitch, notes and volume indicate interest in regrouping which can also be intepreted as a distress call. Those little chirps have a lot more meaning than most of us can determine because we are not trained to make sense of their calls.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You have a friend! Really, she probably recognizes you as "bringer of good things to eat" -- and if you want a lap chicken, would be a great candidate. Bet she quiets down if you touch or hold her.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Your chick wants to be with you and sees you as comfort!

5. captainmommy3

Feb 26, 2012
    YAAY! I figuerd it was something like that and am glad for the confirmation and yes she does quiet when i hold her she even starts to fall asleep.....i hope the others will follw her example because they like me okay but i am not sure they are completely relaxed with me yet.[​IMG]

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Take to next level and offer something like a mealworm after calling it a name you give it. You will find they learn very fast. I trained two a couple years back to fly a good 20 feet horizontally when they were called from a perch on staircase newel.

Short 15 foot flight.

Longer ~ 25 foot flight.

Same individual as young adult during following winter.

He remained tame enough a year later to be used as a teaching tool for little kids. You have already got the most difficult step beat.

7. captainmommy3

Feb 26, 2012
    that is really cool but i am not sure i want to encourage alot of flight considering i only partially have a privacy fence our yard is a double lot but i am still scared they will get away and become raccoon food.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Risk associated posed by slower nocturnal predators like raccoons, oppossoms and skunks is a function of where birds spend night rather than the birds daytime activities. The flying I promoted does not promote flights beyond barriers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by