1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Loud Cochin- please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bathchickengirl, Jul 28, 2013.

1. bathchickengirl

bathchickengirl In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    My neighbors are going to be so upset!!! I have 5 girls- 15 weeks old. None are laying yet. They were perfect ladies and a week ago before we left for a week beach vacation. My dad took over the feeding while we were gone. This morning I let them out into their pen and they are all of a sudden very LOUD! One in particular- she is a Cochin. I have always noticed that contrary to reviews I have read about them that she has been rather bossy- almost a bully to the other girls. Now she is making this awful noise! I think that my neighbors are going to freak out!!! It is not an ack or a buk sound!!! Here is link to video!

[​IMG]

2. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Chirping

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    is she a he?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry, that's a rooster as CatWhisperer suggested. That was indeed a crow.

4. bathchickengirl

Jul 28, 2013
    Yep. Agree with you both. I have separated him from my 4 girls. Now I need to figure out what to do! He is a total menace and I live in a development in a suburb. I am disappointed with Meyer Hatchery.

5. angel8035

angel8035 Songster

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Any time you buy chicks, you are taking a risk of getting a rooster. Chick sexing is not an exact science when they are so small. You don't need to separate him from the girls - it will make him stressed out and lonely.

6. bathchickengirl

Jul 28, 2013
    I didn't separate him to be cruel- I had to separate him and put him in the garage for 2 days because if I didn't someone was going to call the police on us for disturbing the peace! We found him a wonderful home in the country with a family who has 5 acres with chickens and sheep.
    I understand that it is not an exact science but when a hatchery boasts that they have a 90% guarantee and a new 'backyard' chicken person such as myself winds up with roosters it comes as a bit of a shock.
    Now I guess I know what to expect.
    Please don't judge me because I out my rooster in the garage away from the coop. I was truly not attempting to be mean.

7. angel8035

angel8035 Songster

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Okay, it sounded like you were separating him just because he was a rooster. I thought you were thinking he was going to hurt the girls or that you would have baby chicks or something. It's good that you found him a good home. I understand how you feel because I ended up with a rooster from my first bunch of chicks and I wasn't supposed to have him either. Luckily he lived with me at that house for over a year and nobody ever complained, even though they complained about my dogs barking several times lol. Trust me, he crowed ALL DAY LONG. I actually just got another batch of chicks shipped and again received a missexed rooster. I can keep them now though so it's no big deal. If you stick around this forum, you will see that it unfortunately happens to everybody and is part of owning chickens. I wasn't trying to judge you - just wanted you to know that he didn't need to be separated just for being a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by