1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loud cockerel ASBO

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Florencethehen, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Florencethehen

Florencethehen New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    Hi all,
    I've got a little bit of a problem, I wonder if you could help me-
    last year in October one of my hens {Maggie} went broody, and I bought some fertile eggs from Ebay to put under her so she could experience the joys of Motherhood. Amazingly, she hatched nearly all of them in the depths of Winter, and they all did really well and are now big and healthy. But one of them was a cockerel...
    Now, I love Cocky Lockey, I really do, but I'm a really light sleeper and every morning at 4.30 AM he has a good old crow which is incredibly loud. Then, an hour later he does it again, then again for an hour after that, and I can't cope with it. He is a strapping Light Sussex lad, I have a big garden and would like to keep him but it's driving me mad. [​IMG] I've had chickens before but never a cockerel, and I didn't realise how LOUD they could be.
    My bloke has been all around the farms trying to give him away (we live in a very rural area) but no one wants him!
    Is there any way at all we can keep him quiet until a reasonable hour in the morning? one lady said to put him in a light proof box indoors at night so that's what I'm trying tonight. any other ideas?
    I DO understand this is my problem, not his. My chap and son sleep through it without a stir.
    Sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm desperate.

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by