1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loud Delaware's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissBay, Aug 24, 2011.

1. MissBay

MissBay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I have 8 chickens, 2 buff's, 2 Del's, 2 Rhode's and 2 Bared Rock's. The Delaware's are sooo loud and noisy. They just screech non-stop when they see you.
    I realize there chickens and chickens make noise but the Del's are annoying. Not sure I can do anything about it !!! There 22 weeks old and have just started
    laying the last week.
    Any Advice????

2. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    OMG, my grandma's delaware just goes on ALL DAY. There's nothing even wrong! Being last on the pecking order might be it though.

3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:I know what you mean, I have one Delaware that has been laying for about 3 weeks and when she does she is Extremely loud, that is why we call her the "screamer", her sister is not laying yet, but has the loudest voice when treats are around, and both are little devils too, but funny to listen too, not sure about what the neighbors think about them though??

4. MissBay

MissBay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Sounds like mine aren't the only loud ones !!!!!!
    I'm also afraid my neighbors might complain.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I don't have any deleware's, but mine are very loud too! My SS is the worst. I thought she would settle down now that she is laying.[​IMG]. I wish there is something I could do to make them happier.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine have all been quiet, except one. She passed away recently, but we called Maxie The Mouth of the South. She went on and on, bellowing like a cow at times, for no apparent reason. None of the other Delawares we've ever had were like Maxie. I sort of miss her caterwauling.

7. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    My older Delaware was very noisy from about 18 weeks to 20 weeks, then she started laying and quieted down.

My younger Delaware is 17 1/2 weeks old, and she is so quiet - never hear a peep from her.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Oh gosh, my Delaware is the constant topic of conversation on these boards. She's obnoxious. She screams like a dying goat ALL morning. Her reason? Oh, she doesn't have one. Give her treats, she still screams. Pick her up, still screams. Lock her in her coop, screams even more. Let her out, screams to make up for not being heard earlier. She's also my lead chicken and a real diva.

9. Beldenfarm

Beldenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    My delaware chick daisy is a peeper already even though everything is perfect for her, was from day 1 its always PEEEEEEP PEEEEEEEEEEP PEEP PEEP PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Unless I have treats to give shes peeping and adventuring..... from reading these posts I can only imagine what she will be like when shes grown up !!!!! [​IMG] haha Love her still though, my most adventerous and curious chic I have, she is only 3 weeks old and she has already began to enjoy roosting/ checking out and testing herself on if she can jump to the next highest stick i have put up for roosts. Always curious! She will probably be quite the handful diva.... probably will be nicknamed diva!!!!

Glad to know my daisy isnt the only screamer of a delaware!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  10. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one delaware and she is the leader of the pack from day one, and is really loud. When I go out they all welcome me, she sounds like a goose honking is the way I describe it, but if I'm not around is not loud. 30 weeks old and squatted the other day, so hopefully will start laying soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by