loud everytime?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Studio2770, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    One of our girls just started laying and now our backyard has clucking for a minute or two. Do chickens usually sing everytime they lay?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chickens do, and some don't. My Columbain Wyandotte and Silver Laced Wyandotte rarely make noise after they lay, but my Easter Egger and Rhode Island Red do. My Easter Egger can be very annoying, as she sometimes cackles for ten minutes or more after laying.

3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Ok, I don't mind them singing but I was just curious. Another gal laid her first egg today! She clucked a couple times and then a minute or two when she was done.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My EE are usually VERY quiet when they lay an egg. One of them growls when she's on the nest, the other 2 don't say a word. However, my BSL sings so loud before and after the event that she could wake the dead in the next county. I've also found that they don't focus so much on the singing if they have something else to occupy them. If I haven't yet let them out into their run, they make a real ruckus (they all get in on the act and take credit for a single egg). But if I give them run access before they lay, they're much quieter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by