Loud hens! Is there any way I can get them to be quiet? Sound proofing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FRlEDeggs, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    We currently have 4 hens, but will soon be moving to a neighborhood where chickens are prohibited. We would just bring them anyway, but they sing their egg song very LOUDLY at 6:30am, which would cause people to complain.
    Is there any tricks to getting them to be quiet? I would like to try sound proofing their coop, but they have an attached run they go can into and the run walls are chicken wire so unless we enclose them in on all sides in the run that probably won't work. Help?

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Typically, the egg song only goes on for a few minutes UNLIKE a rooster crowing that goes on all day.

With only 4 hens, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you really feel like you must do something.....

You could insulate the coop so that there is the added sound barrier and install a timed door so that they can not leave the coop until 8 ish. . .
    Most of the working folks will be gone by then and the retiree's will hopefully be up and about their business.

Seriously, hens make almost no noise especially when compared to your neighbors' dogs! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    The automatic coop door sounds good, but the only problem is that the coop door slides shut horizontally and the ones sold all go vertically! Any suggestions?

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:My Dh is the mechanical one. . . . [​IMG]

If I was left to my own devices, I would shut your horizontal opening door and cut a NEW vertical door that would work with the auto-timer....

Perhaps, some one else can suggest a better way to make a horizontal opening door work with a automatic door opener [​IMG]

5. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    Quote:Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

6. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

No [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by