loud hens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by s6bee, Dec 30, 2007.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Ok, still no eggs and officially 25 weeks old. Put a light in the coop 3wks ago and is on for 13 or 14 hrs/day. The weather has melted all of our snow so the girls get out daily and spend quite a bit of time outside. They have really developed combs and waddles that are nice and red. They are now making so much noise and tearing up the coop inside. They are making a mess, digging holes and one hen in particular is making so much noise she almost sounds like a roo. Please tell me this is another sign of egg laying? Why aren't they laying!!!!!! :eek:

Stephanie

2. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I think it is. My girls became much louder when they started laying. Now I can't get them to quiet down.

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    patience grasshopper

4. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    The first egg they , my little buff screamed so loud I came running from the garge with a hoe, ready to fight the neighbor cats!

I only found the nest in theyard becuase I heard the second one cooing...

nowI own the noisiest backyard flock! they scream all the time in the morning, when they lay eggs, and when they want out of their coop/run to terroise the birdfeeders.
    I lean otut the window and tell them quiet! if they persist i send a sheltie out to the pen to yell at them to quiet down.

my next batch will be quieter!

5. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

my girls have always been dust bathers. about a week ago they really started excavating their bathing area. My husband was saying they were digging to China to visit his relatives.. [​IMG] Yesterday Lucy started hollering really loud and I thought something was trying to get in the run. Nope. It was the "come see what I just did" call. Today she laid another egg and hollered for about 30 minutes. When all 4 start laying, they should be able to hear them in the next town! I don't mind the noise, but we will see about old nosey next door.. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Over time I find they quiet down.. actually... I barely hear my birds... even the rooster.

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My 20 week old Polish hen has started getting really loud in the morning and pacing back and forth. She used to be so quiet, is this a sign of good things to come soon? her tiny wattles are red too. [​IMG]

8. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    As I type this I hear the girls screaming outback. There upset because I put them in their house for a little while because it was raining so hard!

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    skeeter
    patience grasshopper

LOL! [​IMG]

s6bee, I think it is a sign too because mine were the perfect little ladies until the squatting started and then the laying and with that came so much noise I worry about the neighbors complaining! They are really noisy when they lay and when they see me in the yard. I think the squatting and the talking (LOUD talking, lol!) all precede the egg laying. I have 12 hens and got my first egg somewhere around the first or second week of november I think and now I get 10 a day...so, yes, like skeeter says, be patient becasue we are having trouble eating and giving away that many eggs a day, lol!! Beware of what you wish for!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by