Loud Jersey Black Giant - neighbor compliants

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roybus, Aug 24, 2010.

1. roybus

roybus New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    We have 4 chickens (2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Ameraucana, 1 Jersey Black Giant). All of them just turned 5 months old and have not started laying. Every morning at sunrise the Jersey Black Giant starts squacking to get out of the chicken run. If I let her and the others out to free range in the yard, she quiets down. I think it's only a matter of time before a neighbor complains. The coop I have is 4'x5' and the run is 5'x12' so there's plenty of room for her, she just hates it in there during the day. At night she is fine roosting with the others. I don't think she's a roo as her voice isn't a "cock-a-doodle-doo" it's a "squack, squaaaaak, squaaaaakkkk" and she have a very very tiny comb.
    Is this an adolescent thing? Will she grow out of this phase?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi roybus, Your bird has you trained well. [​IMG] I think that if you only let her out if she hasn't made a ruckus for 20 min or so the frequency and duration of noisemaking will decline. Right now you're rewarding her (by letting her out) for making noise. Oh, BTW [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Gosh, she has you well trained!

Spend the money and get an automatic door opener. Then it will open at daybreak and maybe she won't make the ruckus. I have mine from Foy's and it operates off of batteries so you don't need electricity to your coop. It was worth every penny! I now have 2, and will be getting another one soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by