Loud noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Potatofire101, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Potatofire101

Potatofire101 Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Hi everybody, I was hoping I could get some advice. I have 5 chickens and 2 have started laying. Before they were very nice and sweet but lately they have been pecking at each other. Also, they have been making SUPER loud noises. I can't say which one is making the noises because they are all doing it. I put out more food and water but they are not eating or drinking. They are very healthy and well feed so I can't tell if its just that they are not hungry or that there is something wrong. Pls help! Thanks!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    The two that have started laying----are they staying in the nest most of the time??? If So they have gone broody.

3. Potatofire101

Feb 12, 2017
    My chickens spend the whole day in the pen (except on weekends) so I don't think they are getting broody. Also, just found out that my mom took 3 eggs out of the coop this morning so that makes 3 laying eggs.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Newly laying chickens are rather grumpy. They will loudly "sing" the egg song and all will tend to join in.

Now then if they are actually pulling feathers off each other and puffing up to fight......
    Make sure you have and are doing the following.
    1. Enough space! A minimum of 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 in the run are strongly recommended. I find some breeds really NEED more to be calm enough not to fight.

2. Proper protein and calcium provided. We all want the best for the birds but to many treats can and often does throw the balance off. Keep treats balanced, easier said then done. There are great articles in the learning center.

3. Don't stress about every noise they make. They will quickly figure out that to get you to bring treats all they have to do is start hollering. They can be quite demanding if you let THEM train YOU.

Broody is unlikely to happen when they are just starting to lay and many breeds have had that trait bred out of them. Before anyone calls broody it is important to know age and breed of hen in question.

For example my 6 year old bantam cochin is far more likely to go broody then my 2 year old leghorn.

1 person likes this.
  5. Potatofire101

Feb 12, 2017
    Thanks for all the advice! They have quieted down but now I know what to do next time.[​IMG]

6. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Oh the raucous of egg-laying! It can get quite loud and alarming and you run out to find one pullet in the nestbox quietly trying to lay an egg and another pullet on the roost making a loud racket. . . .and then chickens outside the coop start into the chorus until there is a din of loud chicken sqawking. Yes, that's normal. Some people say it is the chickens celebrating the new egg, but I think it's a predator distraction. A chicken will look for a quiet hiding spot to lay an egg and another chicken sees that she's laying and launches into a loud sqawking so if any predators are around they are distracted from the hen who is vulnerable while laying her egg. Even though our chickens are domesticated, they still carry survivial instincts from their wild ancestors.

As far as the pecking goes, as long as it isn't frustration from lack of space or boredom, it might just be pullets establishing their "pecking" order. Even in small flocks, there has to be a hierachy. As long as the pecking isn't too violent, it might just be them working out who is in charge.

1 person likes this.
  7. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I love how I'll have one in the nesting box concentrating and three walking around the box screaming " the laying song" at the top of their lungs.... quiet comical [​IMG]

My coop is at least 500 feet from my house and I hear them inside with windows closed!!

8. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast

LOL. My coop is right outside my kitchen window. When the windows are open, as they are now with the warmer weather, the din can be so loud, I can't use the telephone or hear the TV.

1 person likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah...just the cacophony of the newly laying, they'll quiet down a bit after they are all in the groove of laying regularly.

My pullet group last year was especially loud...SMH.

Oh and....female chickens can be very loud regardless of laying status, don't react to noise with food.

Oh and and...Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by