Loud peeping chick

Williamschicks

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Qld Australia
My frizzle hen went broody for first time and had 7 fertilized eggs under her. 2 broke around day 16 (which we cleaned up) day 21 one chick hatched out. The other four ehhs are still under her and I have no idea what's going on with them today is day 22/23 .
The one baby chick is peeping really loudly. Is the mother not looking after her properly?
Should I asldo put in a light up high so it emits soft warmth? She's not pecking at it but just seems so focused on the other eggs? Help

Thinking of maybe getting a couple of day old and putting them under her tonight so baby has company and attempting to candle remaining eggs tomorrow night, any advice

Wow poor little thing. Maybe after you take the other eggs away mom will be more attentive toward the baby. Does she let the baby under her? Is she a first-time mom? Maybe if you put the other chick under her at night she will take it and stary caring for both hers and the adopted. Good luck.

Thinking of maybe getting a couple of day old and putting them under her tonight so baby has company and attempting to candle remaining eggs tomorrow night, any advice

sounds like a good idea, in case the others don't hatch.
Does a frizzled hen's feathers provide enough insulation to keep the chick warm? They don't lay like a normal chickens feathers so I am wondering about that. Chicks usually peep loudly if they are cold. Also, I sometimes put the feeder and chick waterer right by the nest box so the chicks and mom can reach it easily even if mom isn't ready to abandon the eggs. Chick might be hungry or thirsty if it's been a couple of days already.
If your in a cold area, you might want to add a heat lamp to the area for the chick. I just don't know much about frizzles.

Last edited:
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
sounds like a good idea, in case the others don't hatch.
Does a frizzled hen's feathers provide enough insulation to keep the chick warm? They don't lay like a normal chickens feathers so I am wondering about that. Chicks usually peep loudly if they are cold. Also, I sometimes put the feeder and chick waterer right by the nest box so the chicks and mom can reach it easily even if mom isn't ready to abandon the eggs. Chick might be hungry or thirsty if it's been a couple of days already.

Mum gets off and eats and drinks and chick follows but then she settles back on eggs and chick stands next to her chirping. It's not cold in the room. They are in the garage it's about 25degrees Celsius today and I've moved my clothes dryer into the garage and turned it on to get the whole room a bit warmer :/ she drops chick starter near chick but it's too busy peeping to eat. I'm tempted to dip it's beak in the water in case she hasn't shown it.
Not sure when to take away the other eggs either perhaps tonight as I put under the chicks and if they still look ok slide them back under? Argh just not sure.
This was her yesterday.(morning after hatch)

Back
Top Bottom