Loud peeps!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gvnam, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Anotherchick problem [​IMG]

My peeps won't stop peeping! It's a loud obnoxious peep. They have fresh feed, water and their heateris at 95. They seem fine heat wise. Any suggestions?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

turn the temp. down to 80.F and see if that works. 95.F seems a little bit to hot.

3. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    Are they peeping only when you're not around? I had an issue with ducklings that got too bonded to me and would cry VERY LOUDLY when I moved out of eyesight. Whatever it may be, I hope you figure it out soon. [​IMG] Good luck with your chickies!

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Yup, show em your face and see if they quiet down..mine are fine as long as they can see me....kids.

5. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    [​IMG] they actually get louder when they see my face [​IMG]

6. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    give them a rock or something to play with..fresh grass clippings,or a small worm section

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    my peeps who are only 6 days old seem to peep very loudly every eveing at bedtime. When I turn down the lights ( they have an ecolglow brooder and are in my kitchen) it lasts about 5 minutes then they settle down under the brooder and dont give a peeep until daylight.

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    they want you!!
    I let mine out to run around and play, they start up with the peeps until I come back in, then totally ignore me, till I leave again.
    At night, when they should be getting quiet, lights are out, cage is covered and the peeps are really loud (I guess they want mama hen) so I just stuff them under a feather comforter on the couch = total quiet.
    Spoiled kids, they peek out from under the comforter from time to time...they think its their mama feathers:) They are soo little, don't know if you are as nuts as that but I stick em in my shirt too...after that I can tuck them into their straw nest and they are happy to go to sleep...I think they will be better adjusted as chickens if I give them love and attention now...they are orphans afterall.....[​IMG]

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Loud peeping always means the chicks are distressed about something. You really haven't given us much information to help you try to identify the problem.

How many chicks? How old are they? How big is the brooder? These things may tell us a lot.

Sometimes chicks get distressed if the feed in their feeder gets too low so they panic, thinking they can't reach it with their short beaks. I've had that happen with chicks as old as four weeks.

If the brooder is too small, and the chicks are unable to move away from the heat lamp if they become over-heated, they will be distressed. Same thing if they are too cold. Having a brooder big enough so they can have half of it heated and half to cool down is ideal. Putting a thermometer in the brooder at the level of the chicks will help you gauge how warm it is for them. By the way, some chicks like it much cooler than the recommended 95 degrees that first week. This is why giving them room to make a choice is important. If they spend more time away from the heat lamp than under it, you need to raise it up.

10. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Well, MY chicks are six -weeks- old. There are eight chicks in a 12 X 6 coop. They are not hot. They are not cold. They scream only when I tuck them in for the night. Personally, I think the coop is still too new to them. It has only been a few days, and that is when the problem started. It breaks my heart, but I know they are fine. I will only worry if it continues another week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by