Loudest breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by viktoriacl, Feb 8, 2011.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Just ordered new chicks and am thinking from what I read today that my back yard may be getting even louder! (All hens) What is your experiance with breeds that are loud?[​IMG][/img]

2. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I have a Polish hen that is fairly loud. And its such a funny noise, too [​IMG] I've got three other breeds (4 hens total), and they're usually not too loud. One, the silver-laced wydonette likes to scream a bit when she's all by herself (she's the top-dog). The others just cluck a little & rather quietly when they find yummy treats. They all make a bit of noice if something scares them, or when they get ticked at each other.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It varies from hen to hen, not so much by breed.

4. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Quote:Glad to hear your SLW is loud! I just ordered one![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    Quote:lol but she is beautiful!! When she was growing, she looked like a little bald eagle [​IMG] Like I said, she's only noisy because she's top dog & gets annoyed when the rest of the flock doesn't follow her or listen to her, yours may be a bit quiter [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I think it varies, but my talker is my Barred Rock hands down. She is the loudest and usually talks talks talks a good few hours before laying her daily egg. [​IMG] But I have read BR tend to be quieter then most. [​IMG]

I also have a Black Australorp who is very quiet, and a Black Copper Marans cross who is quiet. My Easter Egger is fairly loud as well. [​IMG]

7. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    My white laced red cornish hen is absolutely the loudest, most obnoxious noise-maker of the flock! (I think it's adorable though, but don't tell anyone) She is constantly squawking and screeching and making all kinds of noises I didn't know could come out of a bird. Every morning when I go out to my car to leave for work, I say to the coop, "Morning girls," and I immediately get a response of "SQUAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWK" from good old Cornelia [​IMG]

8. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    My Mille Fleur screams at the top of her lungs sometimes. I don't even really know why. I think she is used to being a dominant hen. But here at my house she is well... not!

9. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Both of ourOrpington have been opera stars, siging away all day long sometimes. I threaten my husbans with getting an entire flock of Orpingtons. [​IMG]

10. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    My Welsummers are not necessarily LOUD, but they sure are chatty! My EEs are very quiet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by