LOudmouth, give it rest already! Sheesh...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lowry075, Jul 13, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Emma, my wyandotte is being such a big mouth today. [​IMG] She is out in the backyard, no one is bothering her, and she is standing by my sliding glass door going " baaawwwk, bawk, bawk, bawk, bawk." [​IMG] I go check on her and she stops and looks at me, like, "what?" Her BFF is broody now, but the teenager chickens are out there with her, so she's not alone (except she's a bully). Anybody speak chicken? [​IMG]

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    No... but I have one of those as well. She'll stand on my porch and holler. The first few times I ran out thinking something was wrong! Nope!! Just wants to hear herself I think!! [​IMG]

3. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    too funny!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Has she started laying yet? I have an 18 week old (19 weeks tomorrow) Black Australorp who's been SO LOUD for a few weeks now. I was walking past their run today and I found an egg! And ever since she hasn't said a peep! So I am assuming she is the one who laid it. [​IMG]

5. WilsonFarm528

WilsonFarm528 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Haha I have an Orpington hen who does that too... and oftentimes she gets all the other chikens squaking! She just sits in the pen and squaks her little heart out for no apparent reason. When we first got her we thought it was when she was laying an egg, but now its apparrent she just enjoys being a bigmouth [​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Heehee I have a Red SL that does this all the time. I would make fun of her, but I have been known on occassion to wander around talking to myself when I think no one is watching. [​IMG]

This is especially true when I'm venting while alone. If anyone saw me hootin and hollerin, they'd think I was crazy!

7. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Has she started laying yet? I have an 18 week old (19 weeks tomorrow) Black Australorp who's been SO LOUD for a few weeks now. I was walking past their run today and I found an egg! And ever since she hasn't said a peep! So I am assuming she is the one who laid it. [​IMG]

Yes, she has been laying since December. She just likes to hear herself, I think. I put her in the coop with the new chicken wire divider seperating her broody friend and her from my teens. She stood on the one side baawwking for half an hour. I don't think she approves of these interlopers. [​IMG]

8. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    My girls that lay feel the need to announce that they are heading off to lay an egg for about 20min before they go, then after they have laid they strut around singing the I laid an egg tune for another 20 min. Mine are just proud and showing off I think lol

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Ugh, my Delaware can be quite a loudmouth too! I think sometimes they just feel like squawking.

10. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Quote:I agree. I have an EE that, as soon as she sees me, starts bawking her butt off. She really wants to be let out of the run so that she can go scratch in the yard and she tries to make a break for it every time I open the door to the coop....so yeah, she's cussing me out....daily. If I throw some greens in the run she shuts up. What a brat. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by