1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Louise molted and won't eat pellets and is losing weight She is elderly.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weezilgirl, Oct 19, 2013.

1. weezilgirl

weezilgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    I rescued Louise in 2006. She has always been very healthy until now.She had laid an egg every day since I got her. She just molted and her feathers are coming back. She pecks at her pellets but doesn't eat more than 5-6. Any suggestions for protein? She refuses to eat anything "wet", such as scrambled eggs cottage cheese. Tuna barely interests her.

Could she just be "winding" down? 7-1/2 is pretty old for a chicken? I rescued 4 and they died at age 7. I can feel her breast bone now.

Thanks very much from Louise's mom

2. ninjagirl

ninjagirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Dried meal worms for protein and BOSS for healthy fat?

3. weezilgirl

weezilgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Thank you. What kind of store would sell the worms? A feed store? My nearest town is small and is 30 miles. We have a feed co-op, Walmart and some lumber stores. I'm not familiar with BOSS. Thanks, again!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    A feed store might sell mealworms. The Walmart near me sells them occaisonally, too. You'll find them in the wild bird feeding section, if it has them. "BOSS" stands for Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by