Louisiana Mardi Gras Chicken Run

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Feb 24, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Today is a big day in South Louisiana. Everyone is celebrating Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday (The last day before Lent.) Well, I was outside early this morning feeding my anaimls and someone walks on my property. I asked the man if he needed some help. So, he replies by asking me if I had a chicken for rent. I was like, "Excuse me." And he asks again if I have a chicken for rent. I went on to tell him that I didn't have a chicken for rent.

Well he proceeds to look out on my property at my animals (40 chickens-standard and bantams, 10 guineas, 7 geese, 8 ducks, 7 barbado sheep, 1 goat, 10 stray cats, 3 rabbits) and looks at me. I explained to him that all of my animals are PETS. I told him that I don't sell or cull any animals that I have. I told him that I was sorry that I couldnt help him.

Who in the world would "rent" out their chicken?

For those of you who are wondering............... during Mardi Gras, there is an event called "The Chicken Run". The chicken run is an old tradition that is celebrated during Mardi Gras. People would (and still do) dress up in costumes and ride around the countryside (rural areas today) on horses and in wagons, stopping at farmhouses along the way to sing and dance and beg for gumbo (Gumbo is a stew or soup originating in Louisiana, and found across the Gulf Coast of the United States and into the U.S. South. It consists primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener, and the vegetable "holy trinity" of celery, bell peppers and onion. The soup is traditionally served over rice). At some houses the families served food; at others, they threw out a live chicken for people to chase. If the chicken was caught, they would cull it and use it to make gumbo.

This is why the man asked me if I had a chicken for rent.

I have seen chicken runs on tv and it is NOT a pretty sight. You have a group of people chasing this poor chicken who is so stressed out. He eventually is caught (after having no more energy to run) and of course used for gumbo or whatever else. Maybe some people feel sorry for him and release him - I don't know.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the Chicken For Rent story.

Say a prayer for all of the chickens who will be used for the Chicken Runs today.

2. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    That's so sad!! [​IMG]
    People are just cruel sometimes [​IMG]

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Yikes! I'd lock up my animals! [​IMG]

4. Ec_Prokta