1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Louisiana vaccination questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FlipFlopFarmer, Sep 21, 2010.

1. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I would geography related answers if possible......
    I currently have a chicken tractor with 1 roo and 4 pullet black jersey giants purchased as chicks from a feed store that said they were vaccianted for merks, they are approx. 5 months old. I have another tractor with 1 roo and 3 hen porceline dutch bantams, probably mixed and came from a chicken hoarder with good intentions. The two tractors are seperated by approx 1 acre of land. So far, all i have done is worming on everything. I have DE on order from a local feed mill. I just read about it, got all my info correct, and had my local feed mill lady track some down for me. I live rural, and it takes a while to get things......... Questions..... What vaccinations do I give my current cluckers?..... I am getting some day old danvers in about a month, they will not be vaccinated, what aside from merks do they need? I am concerned about fowl pox, as we have a CRAZY mosquitoe population. I know ALL about quarantene, as I have had horses, cows, and other animals most of my life. I want to raise QUALITY birds for show, sale, and hobby reasons.( the bantams were a quick fix and will have a home when i get the danvers laying, and i already culled the non quality giants). I have read about vaccinations, but havent seen anything about what regions vaccinate for what diseases.
    Thank you all in advance for helping.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    To get local information, I suggest you call your parish extension agent, in the phone book under parish government. I did that up here in Arkansas and the county extension agent put me in touch with an Ag professor at the U of A that breeds chickens and used to show them. At the least, your extension agent should be able to put you in touch with a local poultry club or some such that can give you good local information.

As an aside, after talking to that professor, I decided to not vaccinate my chickens for anything. I do not plan to show my birds. Since you do, I'd think you would want some vaccinations. I just don't know which ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by