Louisiana

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by son-n-lawschicks, Sep 4, 2008.

1. son-n-lawschicks

son-n-lawschicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    any LA people out there? how did yall fare with gustav? let us know if we can help. was not as bad in leesville as was anticipated. my chickens all made it just fine.

[​IMG]

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    we live 17 miles north of alexandria. we did okay. we are very blessed :) others around here got alot of bad stuff. our animals did good and are okay. thank God :) we had limbs down but nothing to big one person could not carry. two people died in grant parish where we live :-( that is very sad.

wendy

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    We're in Alexandria; pretty much got the brunt of it but came out very well. Definitely counting our blessings here. Got power back on yesterday. Kept the freezer alternating w/the fridge, a fan & a small window AC unit & a couple lights running on a 3500 watt generator, so saved the summer veggie production, whoo-hoo!

had an evacuee & her dog here from Lake Charles, they made it safely home yesterday.
    Still no phones or internet at work, the tornadoes that spun off during the 10 inches of rain the day after tore the entire roof off the lumber shed & lifted it over the new showroom & set it gently down in the parking lot-intact. It was amazing. Also quite a mess to clean up.

I HAVE to post pics of our chicken tractor (the bright red "barn" looking one) --- my husband turned it back to the hurricane winds & against our storage building, drove four metal t-posts at an angle into the ground & strapped it down w/some old truck strapping I brought from work.
    We did the same w/our storage building and our greenhouse.

We lost one panel on the greenhouse - which we found. That's all. Everything survived 50 mph surface winds with gusts to 80 mph & FOUR tornadoes in the area--2 within 8 & 11 miles of our house, and just over 10 inches of rain (following 5 inches from the night before).

Hope everybody else will check in so we know you are all OK out there, & prayers going out to the Carolinas and to Florida; looks like you all will be next-

& thanks for all prayers & good thoughts sent our way--THEY WORKED!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. son-n-lawschicks

Aug 5, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    glad to here yall are ok. i was starting to get worried because i posted this a few days ago. hope everyone else is ok. hope they check in soon.

5. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    We're about 30 minutes east of Lafayette. Lost the roof of one of my coops. Thank goodness I had no chickens in there. They were in a makeshift coop in the horse barn. Also lost 3 sheets of tin from the horse barn, but on the opposite side of where the chickens were. Had a very soaked horse, and one very nasty stall. Having that fixed tomorrow. Could have been much worse. Hopefully Ike will stay away from my coops and barn. We've left boards out for the windows, the generator is still on the patio, and the gas cans are full, just in case .....Hope everyone's ok..

Paula

6. luvmychix

luvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    We are in Winn Parish here.... Big tree in the neighbors yard blew over and of course the power outages....Thats about it here.....Everything else is ok here~Sam~

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I'm in northeast La, we lost power for only a day here. We were flooded in & couldn't get out, didn't last too long. My coop flooded & it still hasn't completely dried out yet.
    The news didn't really cover this,but much of northeast La had over a foot of rain.Many,many homes are still underwater.Alot of farmland was & is still flooded & crops ruined.The corn got blowed over & cotton rotted.
    Looks like we are going to get more rain from Ike,hope he won't hang around as long as Gustav. [​IMG]

8. son-n-lawschicks

Aug 5, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    well i hope everyone is ready for ike. we are hunkered down and as ready as we are going to get. good luck everyone and god bless!!!

9. wgcrochet

wgcrochet Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    la la land
    well unfortunatatly we did not fare well if you guys out there were watching the news during the hurricane and saw a home on fire in houma it was mine

we had just finished our coop and run we had 17 girls and one boy we lost everything burned to the ground thank God we had insurance we will buy another home and get more chickens

so please wish us luck as we are looking to buy another home but right now all we can do is look it has been almost 2 weeks and the insurance people still have not come to look at our home so we are waiting on them

i just thank God we were in mississippi when all this went down and i found out about it ahead of time cause i do not think i would have surrivived if i would have just came home and not known i did not have a house

10. Henny_Penny

Henny_Penny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    Your family will be our prayers. Let us know when you are ready for new chickens. If we have something you like, we will be glad to share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by