Louisianagal

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2017
I have always wanted some backyard chickens, so last January my husband began building a coop and a run. By April it was finished so I went to the local feed store after researching which chickens I wanted. I came home on April 22 with a large barred rock, a tiny fluffy buff Orpington, a brown leghorn, and a Rhode Island Red. I went to another store two weeks later in hopes of finding a silver laced Wyandotte. They were out of the Wyandottes, so my daughter helped me select a New Hampshire Red and a beautiful Delaware. My flock was complete. With the warm weather in a Louisiana, I was able to remove them from their plastic tubs in the house and put them in the safety of our outdoor coop. I soon had them eating out of my hand and the barred rock and Delaware would even get on my lap or fly on my shoulder or head. They also loved my 14 year old granddaughter and treated her and my daughter like sisters! My first egg arrived Zsept 22 - and the Rhode Island Red received the prize. Gradually the others began laying: barred rock, leghorn, then Delaware. The New Hampshireand Orpingtons were last. Most days I get 5 eggs; a handful of times all six have produced on same day. They are all beautiful, even-tempered and get along well with each other. They all usually roost on same pole, although occasionally the Rhode Island will sleep in a corner of the coop. The tiny Orpington is now the biggest chicken followed by the large barred rock and Delaware. The reds are both lovely medium sized birds and the leghorn is slim and fast.
Pictures will follow

I have always wanted some backyard chickens, so last January my husband began building a coop and a run. By April it was finished so I went to the local feed store after researching which chickens I wanted. I came home on April 22 with a large barred rock, a tiny fluffy buff Orpington, a brown leghorn, and a Rhode Island Red. I went to another store two weeks later in hopes of finding a silver laced Wyandotte. They were out of the Wyandottes, so my daughter helped me select a New Hampshire Red and a beautiful Delaware. My flock was complete. With the warm weather in a Louisiana, I was able to remove them from their plastic tubs in the house and put them in the safety of our outdoor coop. I soon had them eating out of my hand and the barred rock and Delaware would even get on my lap or fly on my shoulder or head. They also loved my 14 year old granddaughter and treated her and my daughter like sisters! My first egg arrived Zsept 22 - and the Rhode Island Red received the prize. Gradually the others began laying: barred rock, leghorn, then Delaware. The New Hampshireand Orpingtons were last. Most days I get 5 eggs; a handful of times all six have produced on same day. They are all beautiful, even-tempered and get along well with each other. They all usually roost on same pole, although occasionally the Rhode Island will sleep in a corner of the coop. The tiny Orpington is now the biggest chicken followed by the large barred rock and Delaware. The reds are both lovely medium sized birds and the leghorn is slim and fast.
Pictures will follow

Welcome to Backyard Chickens glad you joined us

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
Are you planing on getting more chicks this Spring?
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Greetings and welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us. Pics are always welcome! We're just a bunch of pic addicts. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Hope you enjoy the site!

Back
Top Bottom