Loulan

loulan

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 2, 2013
I have a salmon favorelle chicken that is approximately 18 - 20 weeks old. I noticed she was shaking her head a lot. Now I noticed she is wet below her mouth all the time. I can see the skin on her chin and it looks red. She is eating fine and acts ok in every other way so far but my gut tells me something is wrong. What could it be and how do I treat it?

It is difficult to even guess without a picture. Is there any possibility that water in her beard is freezing and causing irritation?

No, she has not been outside and inside is reasonably warm. I have 9 chickens total and this is the only one with this issue.

Welcome to BYC. Have you have any freezing temperatures in your coop where her wattles could have gotten frostbite after drinking water? Have you felt her crop early in the morning to tell if it is empty? A full and squishy crop in morning could indicate sour crop, and they can spit up sometimes.

I would go catch her and look real close at it under a good light and see what I can see wrong. Put some vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment on it for skin irritation.

They prefer to stay in with the snow and the coop is kept above freezing , so no freezing is happening...I am sure of that.

I have picked her up and looked closely, the feathers are sparse and the skin seems red. I have another salmon favorelle and she has nice thick feathers under her neck. I will check her crop in the AM ....if nothing there I will try the triple antibiotic ointment. I will keep an eye on her and if no better I will contact a vet.

These are my first chickens and my gut tells me something is wrong..I just don't know what!
I am hoping it is nothing too serious because she is acting fine other than the combatant head shaking and wetness and sparse feathers under her mouth.

Thank you so much for your input!

Loulan, I also have a few salmon favorolles, and they love to peck on each other's beards at times--it is kind of friendly grooming, but it can make them look pretty bare. This may or may not be what is happening to your chickens, but it was just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom