louse and mite powder necessary?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luke10, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Luke10

Luke10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Lancashire, UK
    Hello, i am getting my first set of chickens soon and was wondering weather louse powder and mite powder is necessary? I live in the UK. Is it just certain breeds that require the powders?

Luke.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi, Congratulations on your very first chickens. You will be in love and have so much fun. Yes you should have lice/mite powder for your birds, just part of the medicine chest you'll be putting together. Some times they will come to you with mites or lice on them so be sure to check them over real good when you first get them. Are they coming from a hatchery then you'll probably not have them on them but sometimes from private farms etc. they might. I also keep sevin spray on hand so I can clean the coops out real good if we get an infestation. Most important is to just enjoy your new babies. And all birds can have them not just certain breeds.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It's not necessary to treat them if they dont have any lice or mites. I very lightly dust the hay in their nests and the hay on the floor in their house. All breeds are suseptable to external parasites.

4. Luke10

Luke10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Lancashire, UK
    Thanks Miss Lydia and dawg53 for your advice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by