Love at first bite?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Caprice_Acres, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    I raise muscovies for meat, and as 'yard ornaments' as my dad puts it. I have heard of people keeping them as pets, but none of mine were tame. I enjoy them as poultry - if I had to choose just one kind of poultry, It would be a very hard decision between muscovies and chickens.

Well, I had a muscovy hen, Gretchen, on a nest in the barn. Another hen, Blanche, started to lay RIGHT next to her, and sure enough Gretchen just absorbed the new eggs into her nest. Since the 2 new eggs were about 2.5 weeks behind her eggs, I put the halfway incubated eggs in the incubator, but only one of the two hatched. Into the world came Ronery, the lonely duckling (Ronery is pronounced like lonely, but with an asian accent... [​IMG])

When I discovered him hatched and almost fully dry, I reached into the incubator to scoop him out to put him in a brooder. Terrified, he promptly bit me then scuttled to the back of the incubator. It obviously didn't hurt, but made me chuckle.

The poor lonely duckling has adopted me as his mother. He follows me around when I take him out of the brooder. I whistle at him like momma muscovies do, and he recognizes both the whistle and my voice now. When I have to keep him in the brooder, he calls for me. I take him out often and we sit in the grass or walk around... I walk slowly and he has to hustle those little feet to keep up. I like to carry him about with me. I can't wait till he's old enough not to put in the brooder anymore, as it breaks my little heart when I put him in the brooder and he calls and calls for me. [​IMG]

I have a pet muscovy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tickling my toes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He/She is a pretty blue:

[​IMG]

2. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    adorable!!! [​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, he's kayuuuuuuuuuute!

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    What a pretty color!!!! and sooo cute! Now that one has imprinted on you, it's only a matter of time before you get to see the otherside of having pet ducks. When they bond to you, they become very loving pets! That's why all mine live in my house. Well, that and they are spoiled.... Have fun spoiling your new baby!!!!

Edited to add- Soon your dad will be calling him/her the "Living room ornament" lol!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  5. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwww I love Ronery!!! Keep us updated, I want to see him grow up!

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Cuuuute!!! Yes: deff need updates, imprinting ducks are adorable!!
    I'm getting a new duckling to hand raise and add to the family... which is due to hatch today [​IMG]
    *very very very very very very very excited*
    why does hatching take so long!! [​IMG]

7. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm wondering - I'm leaving him in the brooder for overnights, etc - Now that he's imprinted, will he STAY this friendly? I'm trying to take him out as much as possible but I get busy and only have gotten him out for a coupe hours at a time.

How on earth do you keep a duck in the house? Seems like a mess, if you ask me... [​IMG]

8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

What a cutie! Enjoy your new "pet." [​IMG] As for keeping them in the house, there are a few on the forum here that do have indoor ducks (Scovy included) who will be able to answer your questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by