Love bites?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommypad, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Mommypad

Mommypad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    I have three super friendly chicks...they come when called and love sitting on my lap to be pet....lately however my barred loves to peck at me...little "love bites"... Is she doing it for attention?...how can I stop it, some of the pecks hurt!

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Sounds like a bad habit that needs to be stopped asap. Gently flick her beak when she does it or gently "peck" her with your figures

3. Mommypad

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks so much for the advice...I will certainly try both of your suggestions...

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Agree 100%.

Interestingly, of all my birds it has only been my Barred Rocks that do this! I have 2 that follow me around like puppy dogs but want to peck my pant legs to get attention and treats. Annoying but not hurtful. I discourage them though as I don't want it to get out of hand...those beaks ARE hard.

Lady of McCamley

5. Mommypad

Nov 28, 2012
    Lady of McCamley....great name!.... How do you discourage?....I feel so bad flicking her beak after all the time I've spent teaching her hands won't hurt her and I want her to sit on my lap...these are my first three chickens (a buff, barred and Wyandotte) and I still can't believe how tame chickens can become...

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I simply push them away with my foot when they do it. If they are really persistent a gentle but well aimed kick away moves them off otherwise they will get in the habit of running up and biting which is not acceptible.

If you watch the hens the dominant one shows who's boss by bites and pushing the weaker hen down so sometimes I move them off and push them away and hold down for a second or two. I want them to know I am top hen not them.

7. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I do the same. I havea pullet I affectionately call 'pecker head' because she pecks me for attention. She's not gentle either!

8. Mommypad

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions...I have started tapping her beak lightly and saying no with a little push away...hope it works as she is such a sweet girl...I know she's being playful and wants attention but I pet her so much I don't feel guilty saying no bites!...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by