1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Love BLUE Chickens? Suede & His Girls (NEW PIC Added)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Jul 15, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Suede is a 23 week old Blue Orpington cockerel. His women are Velvet the Blue Orp, Caroline the Buff Brahma and Miranda the Lt. Brahma. In about a month, he'll have a new Blue Orp girl, Skye, but she's only 12 weeks old now and in with the youngsters in the main flock. Here they are today out and about. Miranda has been laying for a about a month now, but Velvet and Caroline are taking their time. The last picture is Skye about two weeks ago-she wont stay still for a more recent picture. ***I added this first one today to show some perspective on how truly large he is-that's my DH holding Suede:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh, they are beautiful!! Suede is so handsome, he almost makes me wish I had feathers!

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    You have beautiful chickens! [​IMG]

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    do you free range your chickens?????

awsome birds!!!!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    SH...put me down for some hatching eggs when suede finally gets his act together!! Especially if they happen to come out of velvet!

I have just been sitting outside with my boy playing with the chickens...is there anything better?!??!? We just gave our girls the kitchen scraps ( strawberries, grapes, corn, cucumber, lettuce, etc) and they all went nuts!

6. speckledhen

Yes, I do freerange my birds. I have a main flock with a Barred Rock as the leader, then Suede and his girls in their own coop/pen and I am about to separate my black Ameraucana cockerel into his own coop (under construction) with his girls. I have to let the different flocks out at different times to keep Suede and my Barred Rock, Hawkeye, from breeding each other's women, but they all get to range around the property.
    Aran, if you're serious about the hatching eggs, I have two people ahead of you on the list, but I'll put you as #3. Velvet and the Buff Brahma should start laying any day now and as soon as the eggs are larger than pullet-sized, I'm going to ship out my first dozen to my first customer. Would you also want the Blue Orp/Brahma crosses? Should be some blue birds maybe with feathered feet-who knows? Either way, it ought to be a very large, friendly bird that it produces. Suede is a love who follows me everywhere and comes when I call him. Miranda's eggs are fertile already and I've seen him breeding the other two as well, so when they begin laying, the eggs should be fertile.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  7. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    sounds fantastic to me mate! Just let me know when you think you will be ready...the incubator is tied up until at least the 28th when i expect to be finished hatching the polish eggs we have. Would be keen though after that...no hurry though. I would rather just get some mini blue orps if possible but it would be tough for you to figure out who the eggs are from wont it?

8. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    uh-oh hehehehe my DW just saw my post about getting more eggs and it looks like im in the doghouse again! hahahah We started out wanting about 6 hens for eggs, now i have 21 pullets, 3 roos, 2 new silkie chicks, 10 more fertile eggs ( silkies and polish) in the bator ( half way done!) and 2 rescue hens from the vet coming on wednesday next week as well as 5 ducks i rescued last week. Might have to put my order for the blue orps on hold JUST FOR A LITTLE WHILE ...time for me to soften up the wife a little.[​IMG]

9. speckledhen

LOL, no problem. You just let me know. There's plenty of time since Velvet isn't laying yet and the newer Blue Orp girl is still pretty much a baby still. And I should be able to figure out who lays what in that group since I spend so much time with them so that won't be an issue. In my original flock of ten girls, I can tell who laid which egg almost every time, without a mistake. Every girl lays a slightly different shape and or size or color or texture, matte or shiny finish, etc.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  10. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Cyn, I still cant figure out how that boy walks! His legs look like toothpicks! lol

I've got a broody on nothing, Velvet needs to hurry up,lol. [​IMG]

My mom said no more birds, but we all know how that goes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by