love bugs?? snack or uck

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by florida lee, May 19, 2011.

1. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Anyone fed love bugs to chicks.....I know they are bitter ( I'm a motorcycle rider) but will chicks eat them. Here in Central Florida we have plenty of them.
    gave my chicks a grasshopper today - their first....it was an instant hit. Big tug of war over it... one of the Australorps won.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I needed that laugh. Thanks [​IMG]

Only one way to find out. Give em one. Won't hurt them to try it. If they like it, they'll let you know.

3. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not familiar with love bugs, but with insects, if they have bright red or orange coloration, they may be poisonous--it's a visual cue to birds saying "Don't eat me, or you'll be sorry." If they don't have warning colors like that, then you could certainly try it; if the chicks don't like the taste, they'll shake their heads and wipe their beaks on the ground. I know that pillbugs taste awful (I was an inquisitive kid), but the chickens love them, so there must be something to the fine art of bug tasting that escapes me. [​IMG]

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Here in central Florida we have been swamped with love bugs for the past couple of weeks. I have not intentionally fed them to my chicks but I have noticed that if one flew by a little close that they would pluck it out of the air and eat it. It does seem that they will eat almost any kind of bug.

5. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I have a feeling your chickens would find your palette a little too unrefined to determine their flavor selections for them. [​IMG]

7. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup, 'fraid so. The delicate nuances escape me. Besides, too many legs!! Blaa. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by