Love BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by institches329, Feb 20, 2015.

1. institches329

institches329 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Sunol, CA
    My name is Linda, I live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area. I have had chickens for almost 2 years and have had relatively good luck with them. I started with 7, 2 were roosters and 2 died when my Australian Shepard who is fixated by them, dug a hole under their pen and let them out. I currently have a variety of 7 hens and a beautiful rooster. We continually battle with the dog trying to get to them. He just wants to play. It is my first attempt at raising chickens and I have learned so much. I often come here to learn. Hats off to BYC for helping me!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Linda. Glad you decided to our flock. I'm sorry for your losses to the dog. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. As many BYC members can attest to their sorrow, dogs and chickens don't generally mix well. We've frequently received posts from new members who are horrified because their seemingly benign dog (sometimes even small breeds like chihuahuas) unexpectedly and suddenly decided to chase and kill their chickens; and once a dog has done this, it is virtually impossible to break him from doing it again. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Good luck with your flock! I hope you don't lose any more to your dog.[​IMG]

7. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Greetings! Welcome to BYC! Feel free to ask any questions you may have! This site is a great resource, I'm sure you'll find answers to all you questions here. :)
    [​IMG]

Hope all goes well with your flock!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Short of electrifying your fence, your dog is going to continue to dig unless you find another way to stop him. Please do check out the predator section and coops etc. to see how to prevent the dog and other predators from
    getting to your chickens.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

Sorry for your losses. x2 on the electrified fencing to keep your birds safe and do check out the predator/pests section drumstick diva pointed out.

Good luck, nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by