Love chickens, but don't have any

garden lady

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
I am new here and wanted to say hi and have a question. I wanted a few chickens for my backyard and have been planning on it, but now I have 5 rabbits. They are Flemish Giants that were given to me because the renters of a house left them behind and the owner of the house asked if I wanted them, which I said no until the new renters came with dogs and scared the rabbits and they got out of the yard and headed for my garden. My husband built a really large hutch and we caught them. I know one is a year and a half and she is large. The people gave her littermates away last fall, but kept her (long story) and got 4 baby Flemish Giants. I think they are around 8 to 9 months old. I have now 2 males and 3 females. I hoped to catch them before they were pregnant. I worried there would end up 100 running through the neighborhood. Actually, where they came from there is 100 running loose. I saw their sides moving and thought they were pregnant and read on line it is peristalsis and it looks like this
. After reading this was just digestion type movement I was happy and decided they were not pregnant. They were caught Aug. 18 and Aug. 19. The older female is now day 32 IF she was bred the day we caught her. The other 2 are day 31. So, about a week ago this one female was building a nest, carrying hay in mouth and everything. Then, yesterday morning there was fur in her nest, lots and lots all piled in the nest. She seemed just a little different, but by night she was calm and eating, but after she built the nest I watched her and she had movement like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9EvwV490EM so I thought she was pregnant and then after she pulled fur this movement stopped. Has anybody seen either one of these kinds of movements in a pregnant rabbit? If her babies died then she would be sick or I would see a change? Hope this is not too long and it makes sense. Thank you!

Greetings from Kansas, garden lady, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Hope you are able to get some chickens someday. Sorry, I kow nothing about rabbits except for the ones that eat my garden!! Some people on BYC are rabbit raisers and should be able to help. Good luck to you!!

Back
Top Bottom