Love is in the Air!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! So my roos have apparently reached sexual maturity or at least curiosity. I first noticed some sad attempts about a week ago and it was few and far between. Now it seems that it is getting more frequent. The bantam roos are the horny guys but it's just too funny I have to share! So they "love" on the bantam girls and it's no big deal. Only one of my standard sized roos has seemed interested in mating (that I've witnessed) and he got a hold of one of the little bitty bantam girls, my little bitty bantam roo chased him off! I love him for protecting his girl. After the big roo was gone the little roo checked on his girl and preened her feathers for her. [​IMG]

Another day, little horny boy (the bantam) loved on one bantam girl, then the other bantam girl, then one of the standard girls was scratching and foraging with her fluffy hiney up in the air and it was like I could read his mind. [​IMG] He jumped her but it was so funny due to the size difference. It was only a second or so and she stood up and kinda rolled him off of her then kicked him while giving him a look of, "Are you kidding you little squirt?!" and she went about her scratching. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I LOVE CHICKENS!!!

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    I've recently been seeing that with mine, the boys as usual are ready before the girls. I like how one cockrel runs off the others from their girls.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by